Urban Company - People Advisor & Learning & Development Partner (2-4 yrs)
About Urban Company
Urban Company is a technology platform offering customers a variety of services at home. Customers use our platform to book services such as beauty treatments, haircuts, massage therapy, cleaning, plumbing, carpentry, appliance repair, painting etc., all delivered in the comfort of their home and at a time of their choosing. We promise our customers a high quality, standardized and reliable service experience. To fulfill this promise, we work closely with our hand-picked service partners, enabling them with technology, training, products, tools, financing, insurance, and brand, helping them succeed and deliver on this promise.
Urban Company started out as UrbanClap in Nov 2014, when its founders, Abhiraj, Raghav and Varun realized that the home services industry was predominantly unorganized, fragmented and offline. Customers found it difficult to avail quality services in a convenient manner, and service professionals were struggling to make ends meet, having to rely upon several middlemen, contractors, and local aggregators. The founders felt that the industry was ripe for disruption, and launched Urban Company, with three key principles in mind:
- Customer love: Build a platform that offers truly delightful and differentiated services
- Partner empowerment: Build a deep, full-stack partnership with service partners, helping improve their earnings and overall livelihood
- Technology first: Bring innovation and technology to an age-old industry
As of May 2022, Urban Company had a presence in 56 cities across India, Australia, Singapore, UAE, The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the USA. Since inception, the platform has delivered 36 million bookings to customers, and a highly trained fleet of 40,000+ service professionals. Today, Urban Company offers 50+ different types of home and beauty services through its mobile applications and website.
"Our Mission is to empower millions of service professionals by delivering services at-home in a way that has never been experienced before."
Service partners are the backbone of our platform. Our service partners are typically individual professionals working in one service category. We operate a full-stack platform to help them succeed and provide the following -
1) Training & Certification
3) Supplies and products
4) Insurance and Financing support
5) Market access and brand
Scale of Operations and Growth Outlook:
- Urban Company is present in the top 47 cities in India, and 9 cities internationally. The platform serves approximately 1.5 million+ customer bookings every month through a fleet of 40,000 highly trained service professionals, for a variety of home service needs. The business is growing rapidly at >75% YoY, and has demonstrated significant resilience in the last two years despite the COVID-19 pandemic (Urban Company was awarded The Economic Times Startup Award for COVID led business transformation in 2021, read more here).
- The company has raised significant growth capital last year, which is still untouched and sitting in the bank, and has a very clear path to profitability for its India business over the next few quarters. Its frugal approach and years of secured runaway allows the UC team to build with a multi-year horizon in mind, while focusing on growth with profitability.
Our Commitment to Building a Diverse and Inclusive Workplace:
- Urban Company is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and creating an inclusive work environment. We endeavor to provide equal and fair opportunities for employment to all qualified applicants. maintain a work environment free from harassment based on age, colour, physical ability, marital status, parental status, ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
About the team:
At Urban Company, the People Success team as the name suggests, owns the agenda to enable success for its talent pool. At the core of our role, we hire, we develop and we retain an amazing group of people, who are aiming for the stars to bring about the biggest impact and change in the world of services at home. As part of this small, but impactful team, you will be a core part of the overall mission and vision of the company, helping to define our people practices to grow and help people at UC succeed.
About the role:
We, as an organization are at an inflection point where we are looking to build out the capability of learning and organization development within Urban Company. The candidate is going to build out and execute a long term plan to scale our internal learning academy and bring in a culture of peer to peer learning and eventually adding value to business outcomes.
This is an employee facing role, where you are expected to rely on your ability to coach, your domain knowledge and problem solving skills to resolve all issues and work towards establishing a WOW experience for your employees that enables People Success at UC.
What you'll do:
As L&D Partner:
1. Develop strong relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the company. Everyone is your customer, stakeholder and partner in this mission
2. Identifying the right learning initiatives for the organization to support the business outcomes through skill development
3. Create content for modules along with subject matter experts
4. Independently lead the monthly employee induction programs to ensure smooth cultural and organizational integration of new joiners into UC. Measure success of the program and drive iterations to deliver a wow experience.
5.Refines and delivers results-driven learning and development programs using a wide variety of training methodologies, techniques, concepts, learning tools, and practices adhering to adult learning theory to ensure maximum effectiveness of programs
5.Leading the people experience charter at Urban Company from identifying the moments that matter, developing the experience for UC employees across all locations
6.Driving the people experience charter further by building the right people listening mechanism, identifying the changes necessary to drive a great work culture and workplace and driving outcomes
As a people advisor:
7. Have a strong understanding of the people practices and policies and provide consultation and support as and when needed by employees and people leaders
8. Manage all people programs/policies of your respective functions such as performance reviews, engagement surveys, performance issues
9. Lead minor investigations in the organization for your function as and when issues crop up along with the legal, compliance and business partners.
10. Identify issues and highlight any improvements to the people practices and policies
11. Find creative ways to foster care and support for our employees. Whether someone needs help with a basic change or has a bigger challenge, the people consultant team will lead the way in innovative ways to support our employees
What we'll need:
1. Work experience of 2-4 years as an HR generalist and learning & development associate
2. Strong ability to form relationships across the organization and experience in handling multiple stakeholders
3. Knowledge of Basic MS. Excel and MS. Powerpoint
4. Hands-on approach to work, someone who is willing to get their hands dirty
5. Effective communication and critical thinking skills.
6. Solid team player and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
7. Sound knowledge of HR functions, processes, and best practices - and how to apply these in a fast paced, employee focused, transparent environment
8. Organized, and attention to detail