Trafigura - Market & Risk Analyst - Deals Desk (1-3 yrs)
Trafigura is a leader in the commodities business.
Trafigura Global Services Pvt. Ltd. (TGS) is the Global In-house Centre (GIC) for Trafigura, one of the largest physical commodities trading groups in the world. Trafigura sources, stores, transports and delivers a range of raw materials (including oil and refined products and metals and minerals) to clients around the world. The trading business is supported by industrial and financial assets, including 49.6 percent owned global oil products storage and distribution company Puma Energy; global terminals, warehousing and logistics operator Impala Terminals; Trafigura's Mining Group; 50 percent owned DT Group which specialises in logistics and trading; and Galena Asset Management.
Founded in 1993, the company is owned by around 600 of its 4,100 employees who work in 61 offices in 36 countries around the world. Trafigura has achieved substantial growth over recent years, growing revenue from USD12 billion in 2003 to USD136.4 billion in 2017. The Group has been connecting its customers to the global economy for more than two decades, growing prosperity by advancing trade.
You can find out more about us on www.trafigura.com and our Mumbai office on www.trafigura.com/mumbai
Department: Deals Desk
The Deals Desk in Trafigura is a middle office team providing market and risk analysis globally on a real time basis. Our primary responsibilities revolve around monitoring all elements of the risk and exposure related to our commercial activity and report it directly to the board on a daily basis. Being seated in the middle of a trade floor, we serve in a support role for traders spanning across virtually every market. Commercially, we add value by providing traders with risk assessments and analysis which highlight their exposure, optionality and PnL. These reports are essential to help them make the right commercial decisions and optimize the opportunities their portfolios generate, all the while providing deals desk employees with an unprecedented front office learning experience in the world of trading.
To fully master the role takes years of training as it requires an in-depth knowledge of every element of physical and derivative trading, as well as being able to interpret the impact of operational, financial and political changes on the underlying position and profit. Whilst all responsibilities and accountabilities of the role remain based upon the core principles of risk management, the factors that drive them change on an hour by hour, day by day basis as the company discovers new and innovative ways to generate a wide and truly diversified portfolio
- Maintenance and enhancement of core P and L data to increase accuracy and timeliness of the daily trading results.
- Be responsible for the production and reporting of daily trading positions and management P&L, production and monitoring of daily trading P&L and volumetric exposure reports, post deal review and system reconciliation.
- Enter inception PnL for all new trading strategies, and maintain the economics on these strategies from cradle to grave
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities -
- Ability to independently justify the economics applied to each trading strategy.
- Apply forward curve on daily basis for physical and derivative markets to current position and to explain the impact on the trading PnL.
- Produce daily commentary for board of directors / traders to explain the change in the trading profit and loss due to market changes/change in estimated / actual economics for each deal.
- Analyse exposure and M2M profit and loss on physical/derivative portfolios.
- Allocate all physical and derivative transactions to correct trading strategy.
- Ensure all market price risk is captured and hedge actions executed.
- Assess implication of changes to future physical deliveries and report and discuss impact of hedge strategy.
- Creation and maintenance of ad-hoc reports to assist in any area of position reporting /structure /hedging ( data integrity / trade entry / irregular business structures ).
- Full responsibility for integrity of data in trading systems that is used to generate the above items
Degree holder, preferably with at least 1-2 yrs
- MBA in Finance
- Engineers Preferred
- Meticulous and innovative
- Market analysis skills
- Proficient excel abilities
- Familiar with using multiple systems
- Strong organisational skills
- Excellent communications
- Ability to work in a fast paced high pressure environment
- Deals Management, Physical/Paper Traders, Operators, Finance Dept, Chartering Dept, Demurrage Dept, Deals Team
- Manager at TGS
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or handicap, disability, or any other legally protected status.