The Boston Consulting Group - Knowledge Expert - Center of Customer Insights - Emerging Markets (10-14 yrs)
THE BOSTON CONSULTING GROUP
BCG's Center for Customer Insight in Emerging Markets (CCI in EM) ensures that BCG continues to bring its clients the full value of superior customer insight with its specialists joining or supporting project teams. The Center also leads development of proprietary research and report publications that add value to BCG client interactions and build core capabilities in consumer understanding across Practice Areas.
BCG's Center for Knowledge & Analytics (CKA) works in close collaboration with the consulting teams and other groups within our firm to help acquire, retrieve, organize, and analyze the knowledge that enables BCG to deliver superior business value for its clients. Our role is to be a trusted partner and catalyst for all parts of BCG in facilitating the development of knowledge as a core competitive advantage and building our firm's reputation as a global leader in business consulting. Ultimately, our efforts create a firm- wide culture of knowledge sharing and collaboration.
The Knowledge Team (KT) is one of the key pillars within CKA that transforms data, information, experience and methodologies into insight, using specialized expertise to create knowledge advantage - the unique insights and understanding critical to delivering the superior solutions that drive our firm's success and continually reaffirm its reputation as an industry leader.
We are looking for a Knowledge Expert, Team Manager to oversee the management of Knowledge Team in CCI in EM for India. This role will focus on building and evolving a cohesive team, while maintaining close connections with the local Partner group, case teams and Practice Areas. The ideal candidate should be familiar with different aspects of the consumer research & knowledge function, and be passionate about the opportunity to build a team that strengthens support to case teams.
- Develop and lead a service offering to provide best practice primary market research to project teams in emerging markets. The service offering would include items such as designing the market research projects, set-up and process, reviewing quantitative surveys and editing with best practice market research input, advising on specific market research techniques (e.g. Conjoint, MaxDiff, Van Westendorp, Concept Testing, Segmentation, etc.), performing programming testing, conducting specialized and specific data analysis, etc.
- Develop diverse understanding of consumer behavior and trends across various industries and topics by working with case tams on consumer related questions.
- Broadly own and evolve best-in-class market research, and our arsenal of tools, techniques and partners to help deliver at that standard.
- Directly manage a team of subject matter experts in delivering these offerings to project teams. This includes staffing management, mentoring and career development, managing day-to-day team activities of the Knowledge Team.
- Play a critical linkage to other analytics teams in the firm to deliver a seamless service offering.
- Regularly partner with CCI in EM leadership, topic manager, expert consultants and knowledge team members to seamlessly deliver best practice market research support and proprietary commercial assets and offerings.
- Partner closely with senior business leaders to own end-to-end proprietary data and tools core to CCI in EM commercial offerings. Deployment of these assets includes providing timely and value-added service offerings for BCG users and clients while ensuring integrity and confidentiality.
- In addition, the expert will be required to actively support development of publications, reports and articles.
- The Team Manager will also be expected to support client teams and contribute towards case work where needed whilst retaining focus on line management responsibilities.
- Deliver best practice market research service offering to project teams around the world
- Maintain leading-edge perspective on best-in-class market research, and our arsenal of tools, techniques and partners to help deliver at that standard.
- Actively work on developing and strengthening our research capabilities by identifying and driving partnerships with external agencies as needed.
- Set and manage overall capability offering to serve market research needs of case teams - expanding and innovating this offering over time based on demands from case teams.
- Actively work on developing and enhancing our proprietary databases, reports & publications as well as cross-market initiatives.
- Oversee and actively contributing to the incoming ad-hoc requests from case and proposal teams, assigning them to the appropriate subject matter expert COE resource and ensuring high quality work.
- Knowledge management - create and drive knowledge creation wherein creating a repository of use cases from various projects in a structured and a timely manner.
- Directly assume some support requests - particularly those requiring deeper expertise.
- Liaise with senior CCI team members in India for engagement and input where needed (e.g. request is particularly complex or requires BCG proprietary offering, specific industry knowledge, etc.).
Collaborate with business leaders to develop and deliver proprietary databases and tools. Manage team members (directly and indirectly) to ensure high quality products and applications.
- Manage scope, workflow, activities, and output of the Knowledge Team within CCI in India
- Partner with commercial leaders to shape offerings - inputting specific expertise in insights
- Lead analyst team and, during high capacity periods, own specific products and activities
- Manage ad hoc requests from case and proposal teams, assigning them to appropriate resources to deliver on need and ensuring high quality responses
- Provide coaching and guidance to CCI India Knowledge Team members as they conduct their project activities
Other ad hoc analytical, data and research tasks: Manage analyst team to work with project leads to deliver on BCG client team requests
- Support client teams with ad hoc research and data analysis
- Take lead on defining and executing analyses that will be leveraged by case teams and Clients
- Actively contribute on capability building of the team, and development of credentials
Over time develop deep expertise in BCG's proprietary commercial programs to assume increased intellectual ownership of selected topics within the BCG expert network
- Collaborative team manager with strong leadership and coaching skills, work ethics and service-mentality with experience of working in a matrix organization
- Strong ability to work with multiple stakeholders in a fast-paced environment, prioritize requests and manage expectations of project teams
- Expertise in primary market research for both quantitative and qualitative techniques (with particular depth in quantitative), in both B2B and B2C environments
- Deep data analytics capabilities
- Strong knowledge of and affinity for database and analytical tool management
- Superior problem solving
- Well-organized, self-starter, good at prioritizing
- Able to work well under pressure, flexibility to travel
- Line and project management experience
- 10+ years of experience minimum, including:
- Substantial experience in market research (5-7+ years) - including deep expertise in both executing the work and managing the work of junior team members
- Consulting experience required (at least 2 years)
- Ability and affinity to develop expertise in Customer Centric commercial offerings over time
- Advanced degree
- Effective written & verbal communication (will interact with clients and BCG senior leadership)
- Excellent project management capabilities; ability to multi-task & operate effectively in a matrix organization
- Drives highest quality work in a very responsive manner
- Strong presence, interpersonal, leadership and credibility skills with business sensibility
- Exceptional process skills - exhibits strong follow-through and accountability
- Strong analytic and networking skills
- Plays an active role in recruitment and onboarding of KT members
- Designs onboarding schedule, provides day-to-day training and coaching for junior KT members
- Supervises the long-term professional development of KT members
- Evaluate performance and supervise career development plans for KT members
- Drives and enhances collaboration and cooperation within the knowledge team
- Provide guidance and thought leadership to KT member on project related work
Client work support
- Executes and coordinates complex research requests across practice areas
- Provides analytical services and guidance (e.g., usage and development of tools and methodologies)
- Provides sophisticated synthesis and packaging of results (e.g., Excel data manipulation, client-ready PowerPoint slides)
- Supports BCG partners and principals on proposal, lead preparation and project execution
BCG is an Equal Opportunity Employer