SPM Governance Role - Private Schools Sector - NGO (10-17 yrs)
- Private schools form an important part of the Indian education landscape - approximately a third of all children study in private unaided schools, and several states already have almost 40% of their children enrolled in private schools. The majority of these are - budget private schools, charging anywhere between - 150-1,500 per child, per month. However, student achievement in these schools is significantly below par and few children achieve grade-level competency. We are working to improve the quality of education in private schools by testing evidence-based solutions for the market failures that are hampering these schools from achieving better learning outcomes. These may include unreliable information on school quality, adoption of inappropriate education technology and lack of access to credit, among others.
- Private schools are a severely under-researched sector, so we are also engaging with reputed academics and experts to undertake research projects that will help us better understand how private schools can be improved. Simultaneously, we are working to create increased knowledge around best practices in regulation of private schools.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to :
- Conceptualize and lead initiatives to develop and test high-potential hypotheses to improve learning outcomes in the private sector.
- Help incubate a startup idea which can improve market functioning of private schools- especially demand for high quality student learning outcomes - by working with students and parents.
- Work with other foundations and investors to validate and support supply-side (service providers and schools) hypotheses
- Co-create and advocate for the strategic vision of private school engagement.
- Conduct policy analysis for private schools and conduct regular engagement with important stakeholders.
- Convene a group of world-class researchers to conceptualize and lead at least 2 research studies on private schools that improve the understanding of private schools- sector.
- Coordinate and/ or prepare policy briefs, fact sheets, background papers/ presentations and other targeted materials for meetings and conferences with key stakeholders
- Help create a - State of the Private Schools Sector- by building partnerships with research organization, NGOs, social entrepreneurs, foundations, and researchers.
- Build out advocacy agenda for private schools, and engage with governments at different levels to facilitate pragmatic regulation of the sector.
- Work with key stakeholders and influencers on initiatives, such as but not limited to a national coalition, to build political salience around improving the private sector.
- Develop and manage relationships with key senior public officials, influencers and policy makers at the state levels; track key policy developments on private schools and trends at national and state level
- Provide project management support to government officials for implementing key strategic initiatives
- Create opportunities to engage with central and state government departments to provide consultative advice