Founder & Principal Associate at rFactor Consultants
Views:624 Applications:48 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:36
Senior Manager - Legal - Media - LLM (5-10 yrs)
Education : Qualification in Law
Overall experience : 5-8 years
Essential experience : Minimum 5-8 years post LL.B. as in-house lawyer and/or in law firms. Experience in courts by way of - private practice shall not be accounted for.
- Incumbent must have exposure in media and entertainment industry specifically in acquisition, licensing of content and production transactions
- Should have in-depth knowledge of the Copyright Act, 1957
Desirable experience - Diplomas in legal vocations/subjects like Media and Entertainment, Intellectual Property Rights etc. shall be given weightage but are not must.
Key Responsibilities :
Content Licensing :
- A thorough understanding of the full cycle of management of rights, media platforms, modes of exploitation, etc. commencing from the time of due diligence of the chain of the title documents that fulfils the pre-requisite condition of acquiring and licensing the content related to movies and certain other genres of content, drafting & reviewing of the agreements, negotiation of contracts with counter parties- lawyers, value addition in commercials, management of contractual compliances, management of rights in software dedicated for this, liaising with the various departments to ensure contractual compliances are made. Incumbent is expected to have good knowledge of content licensing.
Channel business support :
- Supporting the channel business by providing legal assistance in relation to production of programs, talent hiring, PR, Creative & Designing, Marketing, OAP, Programming, IT, Logistics, Ad Sales, contest terms and conditions, privacy policies, terms of usage of websites and likewise; drafting and negotiating low to medium complexity contracts for the foregoing aspects of the channel business by providing legal inputs and rendering services through the contractual process.
Processes and Systems :
- Managing, implementing various systems and process various processes for the better functioning of various verticals within the organisation including online contract requisition system, Master Data Management Project, Contract Lifecycle Management System, Contractual Matrix, rights management grid and others. Templatization of important agreements.
Miscellaneous : To provide contracting and legal support for new initiatives and special projects of the company.
- To minimize risk and proactively protecting the company's interest and assets.
- Engaging, learning and winning the confidence for handling high complexity contracts.
- To manage day to day responsibility for drafting accurate contracts, negotiating them with third parties on his/her own and concluding them in tight deadlines.
- To provide accurate, effective and timely legal advice, analysis and support on commercial and contractual matters taking into account the commercial environment.
- To act as the day to day interface between the company and external counsel, briefing external counsels and attending hearings in the courts and other regulatory forums and government departments.
- To liaise with intra departments of the company in respect of commercial and contractual matters where appropriate to ensure that all relevant legal issues are identified and appropriate support is provided.
- To understand tax and regulatory structure of the company and be able to safeguard the company from exposure in the contracts.
- To assist in the development of best practice with regards to the legal aspects of commercial and contractual matters entrusted.
- To influence and assist in discussions between clients and other functions to ensure the best legal solution to meet commercial objectives and to encourage best practices.
- To provide regular reports and updates to line manager and to clients, as appropriate.
Critical Competencies for Success :
Behavioural/ Personal Characteristics :
- Ability to leverages relationships, build a strong network and have effective negotiations.
- Strong communication skills and a team player.
- Working within deadlines.
- Must be self-driven and motivated to take initiatives.
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to handle pressure situations with alacrity.
- Incumbent must have multitasking ability. Timely and efficient delivery of legal support is the key.
Technical skills :
- Excellent drafting skills; Good knowledge of contract law, arbitration and civil litigation. Good knowledge of the Copyright Act, 1957 and the regulatory framework.
- Well versed with commercials negotiations. Someone who is able to enhance industry specific understanding, having good drafting skills and be an effective negotiator.
- Ability to understand and interpret the relevant regulations and apply the same to the work situation.
- Good analytical skills and capable of providing sound and practical legal advice to the business heads.
- Demonstrated (hands on experience) subject matter knowledge in structuring, drafting, negotiating and closing of content licensing deals.