Assistant Researcher at New Era India Consultancy Pvt. Ltd.
Views:1657 Applications:59 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:0
Senior Analyst - Fixed Income/Mutual Funds - BFSI (4-8 yrs)
The primary responsibilities include:
To undertake detailed and rigorous research of Fixed Income mutual funds and prepare quality research reports. The research process will incorporate analysis around the following components.
- Investment Process & Philosophy
- Fund Management Team
- Portfolio Construction & Positioning
- Intrinsic Risk Characteristics
- Scenario Dependencies
- Performance and Volatility Profile
A critical component of the research process is to conduct telephonic research interviews with portfolio managers of Mutual Funds within the relevant asset class. This will involve:
- The preparation of detailed agendas which are customized as per the asset class and the respective fund
- Leading and conducting these interviews
- Assimilating this information with other information sources.
- Communication skills are very important to make these interviews a two-way engaging conversation.
Preparation of mutual fund specific research notes:
- Each Senior Analyst will be expected to complete a formal research note consistent with the prevailing quality standards and update the same as and when the need arises.
Regular Monitoring and Asset Class Knowledge:
- Each Senior Analyst is expected to regularly monitor the key developments in the economy, mutual fund industry and the asset class to which he/she is aligned.
- It is critical to analyze the impact of such events on the mutual funds under coverage especially from a risk perspective.
- Over time Senior Analyst is expected to develop good understanding of his/her asset class.
- While each Senior Analyst will be aligned to a Fixed Income asset class, they are expected to exhibit flexibility in supporting their peers and seniors on other assets classes (like Equities and Alternatives) as and when the need arises.
- Senior Analyst must be able to develop clear opinions on mutual funds based on research that goes beyond mere performance and risk evaluation, develop an independent investment thesis based on informed judgment, and clearly articulate all views and recommendations both in verbal and on written basis internally and externally (as appropriate). Demonstration of a clear understanding of the portfolio, scenario dependencies, underlying risks, expected volatility and factor profile (under different Macro Economic Environments) of the Mutual Funds concerned.
- Candidates should be MBA or Masters with Finance specialization. Qualified CFA, FRM or studying for the equivalent would be desirable.
- Candidates with Fixed Income research background would be preferred for this mutual fund research role. Experience working as a Mutual fund research analyst would be of added advantage.
- Knowledge of financial markets, macro-economic environment, theory, tools, strategies and portfolio managers.
- Analytical mindset and good report writing skills.
- Attention to detail and an ability to follow a disciplined research process
- Quantitative skills including strong working knowledge of Excel and research tools such as Factiva, Morningstar, Bloomberg
- Good interpersonal skills, especially communication skills (this has particular relevance in relation to the conference calls with portfolio managers that are an important part of the mutual fund due to diligence) and the ability to communicate remotely.
- Proactive, positive attitude and ability to multi-task and complete independent written research opinions especially under pressure to meet time-sensitive deadlines
- Team player, strong organizational and time management skills, flexible approach to duties and hours of work, client-focused.