Rebel Foods - Vice President/Head - Category (8-12 yrs)
About Rebel Foods :
World's leading consumer companies are all technology / new age companies - Amazon (retail), Airbnb (Hospitality), Uber (mobility), Netflix / Spotify (Entertainment). The only sector, where traditional companies are still the largest ones is restaurant - McDonald's (with market cap of 130 BN USD). With Food Delivery growing exponentially worldwide, there is an opportunity to build world's most valuable restaurant company on the internet, superfast.
We have the formula to be that company. Today, we can safely say we are world's largest delivery only / internet restaurant company, and by a wide margin with 4000+ individual internet restaurants, in 40+ cities and 7 countries (India, Indonesia, UAE, UK, Malaysia, Singapore, Bangladesh. It's still Day 1, but we know we are onto something very, very big.
We have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to change the 500-year-old industry that hasn- t been disrupted at its core by technology. For more details on how we are changing the restaurant industry from the core, please refer below. It's important reading if you want to know our company better and really explore working with us:
About Culture at Rebel Foods :
While the above has been possible due to a robust business model (Multi-brand cloud kitchen model, opening platform to 3P brands and food entrepreneurs), the - Ways of working- a.k.a - Values- at Rebel Foods have played a major role as well. These so-called values are not mere A3 printouts hung up on wall but actually the backbone of the DNA of each one of us making this happen.
Rebel is not a usual workplace. The following slides will give you a sense of our culture, how Rebel conducts itself and who will fit into the company. Please go through it before you make your mind up. It's not everyone's cup of tea. But its dessert for a few. If you have doubts do also look at our Glassdoor Ratings and compare it with any tech start up in India today.
About the Role :
- We call the role as the Head of Categories, Cloud Kitchen Brands
- And this role Reports into the Business Head, Cloud Kitchen Brands
Head of Categories: Key Objectives of the Role :
While India is a country with 1.3 bn population, 10+ popular food categories, 40+ cuisines and one of the largest food consumptions globally, have you ever wondered why there are no Indian origin food brands across categories that are global or even Pan India at scale? Why there isn- t a popular Pan Indias Biryani or a Dosa or an Bengali Sweet or Gujrati thali Brand from India? Or for that matter a Pan Indian Burger, Fride Chicken or Pizza Brand from India?
We, at Rebel Foods, aim to plug this gap. In line with our company mission, this function offers the unique opportunity to
- Build digital first, most loved food brands across categories not only for India but for the world.
- Understand the never solved consumer need gaps and offer delightful solutions - that special kind of biryani in Mumbai that isn- t available, that lucknow's taste in Kebab not available in Bangalore, that exotic Pizza which is available at only one place in India, and the list is endless
- Connect cities, their tastes, memories and eventually create the biggest impact on consumer's most important necessity - food.
Key Responsibilities :
- Each Category Head will be in charge of 2-3 Global Power Brands leading a team of Brand and Assistant Brand Managers. At the core, the role of this team is to identify consumer needs/pain points across food missions, design products/brands to cater to those needs and work with cross-functional teams to launch the products/brands and deliver on key customer/business metrics. This is also an unique combination of a - design and deliver- function with Revenue, Product Rating, Category Margin and Innovation Success Rate being the key success metrics.
While the above is a summarized view of the role, details responsibilities are as follows :
Category Strategy :
- Create a consumer backed 3-5 year category strategy spanning portfolio choices, pricing philosophy, innovation funnel and menu choices
Category Performance Management :
- Track key business metrics (revenue, margins, product ratings, NPS, customer funnel etc.) and develop initiatives/levers to bridge the gap to target
- Work with cross-functional teams to ensure execution of aligned initiatives
Category Innovation Management :
- Identify the key consumer needs/ pain points across food categories and missions Convert the gaps/needs into consumer JTBDs and business idea/opportunities, encompassing new product/ service innovations and new brand launches
- Lead end to end design of the innovation/business opportunity - market research for specific offering, pricing, cost structure and marketing/distribution approach
- Work with cross-functional teams (Culinary Innovation Centre, Supply Chain, Training, Operations, Online & offline distribution teams) to incubate the innovation and test the product market fit via pilot across few markets
Category Building and campaign management :
- Lead the brand building activities (such as Mass media, digital salience campaigns etc.) to strengthen the brands on key metrics such as SPONT, TOMS, purchase intent etc.
- Conceptualize, design and execute key marketing campaigns (working with digital, social, creative and distribution teams) to deliver monthly brand P&L targets (Net Sale, Contribution Margin and Brand Margin)
We are looking out for someone who can come onboard to play this very critical and collaborative role. Following is what we are looking for :
- Customer Empathy- and - Helpfulness- are at the core of this function - so if you are not someone who is obsessed with making the lives of your customers better every day each day, then this is not for you.
- You should have at least 10-12 years of deep domain experience in planning and executing Category Management best practices in middle to mature level firms.
- Core brand management experience, especially of managing cross-functional innovation projects, leading to at-scale launches and communication development across campaign types (Mass media, digital, social etc.) will be an advantage.
- First principle thinking, self-starter and hustling attitudes have proven to be the magic potions for anyone to do well at Rebel. The ability to influence the entire organization constructively in order to make things happen will be an added advantage.
If you find the above interesting, we should meet. Or should we say e-meet.
Please reach out to us with answers to the following questions.
1. Why do you want to join Rebel Foods?
2. What makes you the right person for this role?