MSCI - Senior Associate - ESG Research & Model - Python (3-8 yrs)
Your Team responsibilities :
MSCI ESG Research is seeking a Senior Associate to join our Models and R&D team, which is responsible for developing new methodologies and innovative frameworks to quantify environmental, social, and governance (ESG) risks. The selected candidate will primarily support model enhancements for MSCI's ESG Ratings product, which is used by institutional investors to integrate ESG risks in their fundamental research, portfolio construction, and risk management capabilities.
We are seeking an individual with strong quantitative and problem-solving skills as well as an interest in ESG issues, including how investors integrate ESG factors into their investment processes. Critical thinking, curiosity, and an ability to overcome data challenges with creative solutions are essential to thrive in this high impact role.
What we will offer you :
Depending on your location of your role, you can expect :
- Competitive fixed and variable compensation, holiday/vacation allowance & retirement savings plans/pensions
- Employee Resource Groups to support you in and out of the office
- A wide range of benefits including - healthcare, dental plans, risk insurances and (location dependent) - cycletowork schemes, gym benefits, retail discounts,
- A purposeful approach to Wellbeing including training, support networks, membership to wellness platforms and vendors, and active local office communities
- A specific and deliberate planning to the physical offices in which we work, and support for everyone spending periods of time working remotely or at home. This approach mirrors our commitment to transparency and sustainability and puts the safety and wellness of our employees at the center of all we do. We aim to provide productive and sustainable work environments and technology that encourages collaboration, creativity and innovation.
Your key responsibilities :
- Contribute to the improvement and maintenance of existing methodologies used to assess a company's exposure to environmental, social, and governance risks included in the MSCI ESG Ratings model
- Contribute to the development of new models, particularly with regards to (but not limited to) assessing climate risk, human capital, and innovation across thousands of securities
- Conduct back-testing and scenario analysis of proposed methodology enhancements to understand implications on ESG Ratings
- Spearhead the development of scalable models derived from concepts and recommendations from the industry research analyst team
- Use statistical methods and programing to analyze, interpret, and visualize data
- Implement, test and document new computations used in ESG models
- Promote best engineering practices to ensure quality assurance
- Communicate complex topics in a simple way to internal and external stakeholders not familiar with the topics
Your skills and experience that will help you excel :
- 6+ years of full-time professional experience in quantitative research or data science role
- Minimum of Bachelors' degree required; Advanced degree in related field (Finance, Engineering, Business) or CFA is preferred
- Strong analytical capabilities and advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and software development, particularly Python, are a must-have
- Ability to overcome data quality challenges with creative solutions, including familiarity with alternative, unstructured data
- Experience with ESG analysis is not a pre-requisite, but candidate should have a demonstrated interest in environmental, social, or governance issues
- Self-motivated, pro-active and demonstrating an exceptional drive towards delivery.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work as part of a multi-cultural and geographically distributed team
How we'll support you :
- Coaching and support from experts in your team
- A performance and growth-oriented culture and values
- Opportunities for continuous learning to aid progression
- Goal based objectives and development plans
- Transparent performance-based compensation schemes
- Employee resource groups such as the Women's Leadership Forum, MSCIPRIDE, Black Leadership Network and Eco-Groups.
About MSCI and our teams :
MSCI is a market leader in Global Indexes, Smart Beta, ESG and Risk Management, and is at the forefront of the secular trends dominating the financial services landscape today. We are committed to the future sustainability and transparency of the financial markets. We create innovative products and services that allow our clients to make more informed investment decisions, and we provide investors with critical performance measurement and risk management data and analytics. Click here to see what we do (link to MSCI brochure)
Our values define the working environment we strive to create. We are inclusive, we champion bold ideas, we always pursue excellence, and always act with integrity. Personal accountability and responsibility are key to success, and we always work as a team to remain client centric.
MSCI is committed to developing a culture and workforce that reflects the clients and communities in which we operate. Increasing our diversity expands our talent pool which helps to accelerate innovation in all we do. We especially encourage members of historically underrepresented groups to apply, including women, ethnic minorities and those in the LGBTQ community.
To all recruitment agencies : MSCI does not accept unsolicited CVs/Resumes. Please do not forward CVs/Resumes to any MSCI employee, location or website. MSCI is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs/Resumes.
MSCI Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is the policy of the Firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected pregnancy/maternity leave), veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.