McCain - Legal Counsel & Company Secretary (8-14 yrs)
LEGAL COUNSEL & COMPANY SECRETARY, INDIA
McCain is a dynamic and robust privately owned family company with sales in over 160 countries and a global team of 22,000 people. It has global annual sales in excess of CAD $10 billion.
At McCain, the global legal team is responsible for providing and managing legal and compliance services and assisting with the management of risks associated with McCain's global business operations. The team works hard to position itself as a trusted business partner to achieve better commercial and legal outcomes faster. The business groups look to the legal team for assistance and guidance in contractual and other dealings with third parties, including customers, suppliers and regulators.
We are now seeking a Legal Counsel & Company Secretary in India to join as a key member of the legal team in the region. Located in our Delhi office, this individual will report to the General Counsel, Asia Pacific & South Africa, and act as a trusted advisor on major business transactions and provide both strategic and day-to-day advice to the business on legal and transactional matters, focused in India. This is an exciting opportunity to play a part in the continuing global growth of McCain and would suit an enthusiastic and ambitious individual who is excited to play a part in this growth!
Key Accountabilities :
- Provide advice on compliance with local laws and regulations, including monitoring legislative changes and other legal requirements and disseminating information in relation to these changes where required.
- Ensure effective risk management processes are implemented and maintained.
- The ability to work autonomously and self-sufficiently.
- Assist with customer, supplier and other third party agreements with the goal of assisting business partners to achieve their objectives while identifying and mitigating risks.
- Working in collaboration with internal and external resources to provide strategic advice with respect to intellectual property matters.
- Participate in the development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provide training and mentoring with respect to policies and procedures relating to competition, compliance and other matters.
- Provide support to other functions as necessary with respect to a variety of regulatory and food safety matters.
- Manage the company secretary function for the India business and perform as a vital link between the company and its Board of directors, shareholders, and government/ regulatory expectations set out in the Companies Act, Registrar of Companies & Company Law Board.
- Guidance on laws governing our food business, agriculture, contract farming and environment.
- Support the plant on applicable regulations, licenses, land use bill, Factory Act etc.
- Collaborate with HR to Advise on employment issues and guiding on all labor related compliances.
- Provide support to the business in complying with FSSAI rules and regulations.
- Assess, advise on and manage legal, regulatory and risk approaches for potential and actual disputes and litigation.
Requirements of the position :
- Tertiary qualification in law from an Indian university and 8+ years of broad legal experience (including private practice training with a reputable law firm) and company secretarial experience, with an emphasis on corporate/commercial, compliance, corporate governance and regulatory matters.
- In-house experience, preferably in FMCG / international manufacturing.
- Innovative, enthusiastic and versatile approach.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- A professional, ethical and honest approach.
- Significant experience in contract law and strong skills in drafting and negotiating contracts.
- Ability to contribute at a strategic level with a proactive approach to risk management.
- Excellent management and leadership skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Ability to build strong relationships, including with senior management within the business and collaborate across the organization - including the ability to work effectively across multiple countries and regions as a member of a global legal team and assist in implementing global priorities.
- An ability to appreciate the strategic and commercial