Mastercard - Manager - Federal Tax Compliance & Planning - CPA (7-12 yrs)
Manager, U.S. Federal Tax Compliance and Planning
The U.S. Federal Tax Compliance and Planning team has the primary responsibility for assuring the timely preparation and filing of all U.S. Federal income tax filings and related estimated payments. The U.S. Federal Tax Compliance and Planning team also supports the design and implementation of processes and controls to ensure accurate, complete, and timely compliance with various aspects of financial tax accounting and reporting standards as they relate to income taxes, including but not limited to: interim and annual reporting; current tax provision; uncertain tax positions; deferred taxes; and valuation allowances.
The Manager, U.S. Federal Tax Compliance and Planning prepares and maintains significant aspects of the federal tax records, returns, reports and other related materials in compliance with U.S. federal tax laws and regulations and supports the financial reporting of Mastercard's income tax expense and liabilities. This role's work responsibilities include a focus on tax compliance requirements for recently acquired Finicity entities. Further, this role has responsibility for assisting with the planning, development and evaluation of Mastercard's tax policies and participates in the development of tax strategy, including using legal means to minimize tax liability based on a thorough knowledge of U.S. tax laws and regulations.
- Assist with preparing Tax purchase accounting entries related to acquired Finicity entities.
- Review and maintains company deferred tax assets and liabilities, along with uncertain tax positions and related reserves to be included in the annual and interim public filings as required.
- Coordination, provide information, and assist with preparation of Finicity's stub period federal returns. Ensure compliance with all SPA provisions related to review and filing of all post-close tax returns.
- Gather company's financial data and perform analytics supporting Director, Tax with ongoing responsibility for preparation of all post-close federal tax returns and other federal tax filings.
- Act as ongoing liaison between Tax and other integration workstreams to ensure Finicity integration is well-coordinated and timelines are met.
- Remain aware of Mastercard business issues to determine the proper tax treatment.
- Coordinate implementation of appropriate transfer pricing, in conjunction with Mastercard Transfer Pricing team.
- Assist in responding to information requests from independent auditors and external advisors and participates in discussions surrounding tax positions taken.
- Supports federal audit initiatives and assists in defending issues raised in tax examinations by the IRS (for example, assist in gathering support or helps prepare response to information requests).
- Support Director, Federal Tax in identifying and maximizing tax incentives and tax planning opportunities.
- Maintains global tax policies and procedures in accordance with relevant tax regulations.
- Responsible for the maintenance and adherence to policies that create a strong internal control environment under Sarbanes-Oxley.
All About You:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting. CPA preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in corporate taxation with an emphasis on U.S. tax compliance, research, and provision; overall work experience will be the overriding factor when considering years of experience.
- Big 4 accounting background or prior corporate tax department experience preferred.
- Ability to perform tax research, apply U.S. tax law and prepare memorandum summarizing findings.
- Proficiency in the use of a tax return preparation software; experience in CorpTax a plus.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to identify and implement continuous process improvements.
- Ability to organize, manage and work effectively to accomplish multiple tasks.
- Ability to work independently and in groups to complete time-sensitive projects within internal and external deadlines.
- Strong relationship-building skills and the ability to work with people at all levels in the organization.