Maersk - Incident & Litigation Coordinator (4-6 yrs)
Maersk is looking for Incident & Litigation Coordinator
We Offer :
We are seeking a self-motivated and dedicated professional with an affinity for strategic and operational support in large and complex maritime casualties. The vacancy will fill a role within Maersk's Incident Management & Strategic Support team.
This role offers a unique opportunity to further develop a career as a specialist within the area of casualty handling and maritime litigation management. The position is based in Mumbai, India and will report to Manager - Incident Management & Strategic Support.
The nature of this profile demands flexibility of work timings depending on the incident.
Key responsibilities Key Areas of Responsibility :
- Team focus : This is team's primary and main responsibility and thus takes priority over other tasks.
- Coordinate the flow of information and mitigate the loss arising from marine incidents, such as fire, collision, grounding and heavy weather damage.
- Liaise with Operations, Commercial Teams and External network (P&I Insurers, correspondents, law firms, GA adjusters, salvage traders).
- Provide information, guidance and support to internal and external stakeholders.
- Handling legal disputes, negotiations, dispute resolution, recoveries against liable third parties and settlements in co-operation with the relevant internal stakeholders.
- Responsibility for all court cases, collecting relevant information, costing, assessing, summarizing and maintaining the claims system
Individual Focus :
Support Incident team :
- Engage with internal stakeholders to constantly improve and share best practices in relation to incident handling.
- Liaise with external stakeholders to devise incident handling protocols.
- Application of risk management and incident handling routines to devise and execute action plans as soon the team receives notification of an incident requiring the activation of such plans.
- Identify and retain contemporaneous evidence in preparation of claims and recovery arising from the incident.
Support Legal Counsel, Mumbai :
- Manage and monitor development on new matters arising with focus on claims requiring the involvement of external legal counsel.
- Ensure the timely engagement and assistance of frontline commercial colleagues to avoid cost exposure.
- Legal loss prevention in terms of avoidance of unnecessary court actions.
- Coordinate with Lawyers as and when required.
- Obtain quarterly reports on the status of the cases handled by them
- To ensure all documents related to court cases are duly electronically stored/physically stored for easy access/retrieval.
- To maintain confidentiality/safekeeping of documents in custody.
- Mapping and sharing lessons learnt while handling cases in various jurisdictions.
- Always act in a manner consistent with and loyal to the Maersk Values.
Challenge of the job/problem solving :
- The person needs to be highly self-motivated with a solution driven attitude.
- The person needs to be highly analytical with strong attention to detail, without losing sight of the overall bigger perspective.
- To have the ability to develop a good rapport with a variety of stakeholders from different cultures, identifying and meeting their needs whilst ensuring a beneficial outcome for the carrier.
- The ability to wear different hats and remain level-headed and flexible in a variety of situations.
We are looking for :
Knowledge & Qualifications :
- Experience required is 4-6 years.
- Law graduate with proven experience in managing maritime casualties, Hull & Machinery, cargo claims, maritime litigation
- Sound shipping Knowledge and understanding of operations.
- In depth understanding of legal principles underpinning international trade, bills of lading and COGSA.
Training/Special Skills Required :
- Future oriented decision making
- Attention to Detail
- Solution and result-oriented mindset towards court case handling
- Is highly motivated to learn as well as share knowledge
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Focus on Quality
- Work under pressure
- Tactful and effective handling of multiple stakeholders
- Ability to perform in and contribute to a team-oriented environment
- Ability to analyze, structure and organize tasks and work independently