JP Morgan Chase - Legal Counsel - Wealth Management (3-8 yrs)
WM Legal Counsel, Mumbai
Description : Associate - Wealth Management Legal Counsel (covering APAC and EMEA - 210053239)
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, and asset management.
The Legal Department of JPMorgan Chase & Co ("JPMC") is responsible for providing legal services to the Corporation and is organized by practice groups that generally conform to the Corporation's lines of business ("LOBs") and corporate staff areas, allowing the legal staff to work closely with specific groups on a daily basis.
J.P. Morgan Asset and Wealth Management (AWM) is one of the largest asset and wealth managers in the world. AWM serves distinct client groups globally through multiple businesses: institutional and retail clients through Asset Management (AM), and high-net-worth and ultra-high-net-worth clients through Wealth Management (WM), which includes the Private Bank. AWM offers global investment management in equities, fixed income, real estate, hedge funds, private equity and liquidity. AWM also provides trust and estate, banking, and brokerage services to high net worth clients, and retirement services for corporations and individuals.
JPMorgan's Legal Department supporting JPMorgan's EMEA & APAC WM business seeks an experienced lawyer to join the team. The team is responsible for advising the firm's client-facing WM business. Such legal support will primarily relate to laws within EMEA and APAC. The successful candidate will support the areas listed above and work closely with colleagues on the EMEA and APAC WM Legal teams, Compliance, Controls and Risk (including Credit Risk) to ensure comprehensive and effective support.
Location and Reporting Lines :
The location of this position is Mumbai, India, at the J.P. Morgan Mumbai Corporate Centre ("MCC") functionally reporting to the Head of Legal for WM APAC in Singapore, and to a local supervisor at the MCC.
Job Responsibilities :
- Provide general support to legal teams servicing WM EMEA and APAC, in particular, the lending businesses.
- Review, draft and advise on account documentation, including powers of attorney, non-disclosure agreements, credit lending agreements, trust agreements, entity authority documents (e.g. corporate resolutions, by-laws, partnership agreements), estate documentation (e.g. death certificates, wills), and retirement account documents.
- Provide legal support in connection with account opening processes, legal review of inter-affiliate and third party outsourcing arrangements.
- Provide legal support on legal, regulatory and cross-border aspects of credit offerings, including Lombard lending, mortgages and bilateral and syndicated structured financing solutions to a regional client base, including individuals, personal holding companies, trusts, charities and partnerships.
- Coordinating with local counsel in various jurisdictions on legal and regulatory issues for lending transactions and for the private banking business generally.
- Drafting or editing certain customer facing communications.
- Assist with completing legal and market research, and assisting senior team members with a wide range of business requests and regulatory projects.
- Updating account agreements, customer-facing documents, and disclosures, including reviewing legal requirements for new provisions.
- Working on special projects outside of normal responsibilities.
Required Skills :
- Fluent in written and spoken English, with excellent English writing and oral communication skills.
- Law degree and membership in jurisdictional organisation. Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in legal practice.
- Excellent legal research skills. Experience with Westlaw or similar services preferred.
- Credit, Lending, or Banking transaction experience preferred.
- As this is a high-touch role, the attorney candidate must be a team player who can collaborate and communicate effectively with attorneys and business stakeholders and control functions (for example, Compliance and Credit Risk).
- Strong analytical thinker who is detail-oriented, practical and skilled at issue-spotting and problem-solving.
- Self-starter who is able to work collaboratively in a high performing team, takes ownership of responsibilities and projects, is results-oriented and flexible.
- Ability to multitask and prioritise work in a fast-paced, complex business environment and maintain communication with attorneys regarding project status and estimated completion timelines.
- Competence with the suite of Microsoft Office products, including Microsoft Excel.
- All candidates for roles in the Legal Department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.
Preferred Skills :
- Knowledge of EMEA and/or APAC financial services law, banking and finance and processes preferred.
- Experience studying or working in a common law jurisdiction.
JPMorgan Chase & Co., one of the oldest financial institutions, offers innovative financial solutions to millions of consumers, small businesses and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under the J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Our history spans over 200 years and today we are a leader in investment banking, consumer and small business banking, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
Note : For your candidature to be considered on this job, you need to apply necessarily on the company's redirected page of this job. Please make sure you apply on the redirected page as well.