JP Morgan Chase - Associate - Legal Counsel (3-8 yrs)
OLO Legal Counsel
Description : Legal Counsel- Office of Legal Obligations - Associate, Mumbai
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity.
The JPMorgan Chase Legal Department is responsible for providing legal services to the Corporation and is organized by practice groups that generally align with the Corporation's lines of business and corporate staff areas. This structure encourages legal teams and businesses and staff areas to discuss legal, regulatory, and business developments effectively and in a timely manner.
About the Office of Legal Obligations. The Office of Legal Obligations (OLO) is a firmwide programme responsible for developing and executing a sustainable infrastructure and process that (i) documents JPMorgan Chase's obligations arising from material laws, regulations, and rules, and (ii) connects the obligations to policies, when applicable, as well as to procedures or other documentation that support compliance with those laws, rules and regulatory requirements.
The overall OLO programme goal is to improve the control environment regarding the laws and regulations of the firm. The programme helps allow the firm to trace end-to-end connections between laws, regulations, rules, and policies and procedures.
For the programme, JPMorgan requires experienced lawyers with a strong regulatory awareness and background who are able to understand the risks to the lines of business and JPMorgan of non-compliance with laws, regulations, and rules. This role will require significant cross-functional collaboration, including with line of business lawyers and their counterparts in JPMC's corporate functions.
The successful candidate will join a global team of lawyers, project managers, and other professionals who are responsible for helping the Legal Department document JPMorgan's material legal obligations and monitor for legal and regulatory changes that may impact the programme.
Primary Responsibilities :
- Work closely with the rest of the Legal Department to develop and maintain the legal obligations for JPMorgan's businesses in APAC.
- Monitor, identify, and document changes in legal and regulatory developments for APAC jurisdictions.
- Provide written summaries of legal and regulatory developments to programme stakeholders, including the Legal Department, the business, and other corporate functions, and advise on such developments as needed.
- Research and analyse laws, regulations and rules to assess applicability and impact to JPMorgan.
- Collaborate with internal line of business lawyers to respond to questions from the business and corporate functions about the legal obligations.
- Instruct and liaise with external counsel as required.
- Promote evergreen efforts of the Program, focusing on quality assurance, consistency, completeness, and accuracy of legal obligations.
- Conduct gap analyses on the completeness and accuracy of legal obligations in APAC.
- Develop subject matter expertise on products and services offered by JPMorgan as required.
- Assist with the development of policies, procedures and controls.
- Participate in legal and other firmwide projects.
Essential Qualifications/Experience :
- Qualified lawyer with a minimum of 3 years' experience obtained in private practice or in-house at a financial institution.
- Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to the commencement of employment
- All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.
Essential Skills :
- Excellent legal research and writing skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to comprehensively and concisely summarise legal and regulatory developments for distribution to a non-legal audience.
- Background in financial services regulation in India and/or other APAC jurisdictions, or another highly regulated business.
- Team player and ability to develop strong relationships with the business, corporate functions, and internal stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and collaborative skills, and ability to work independently.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and to co-ordinate among a wide range of internal stakeholders.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency and interest in technology and systems development.
JPMorgan Chase & Co., one of the oldest financial institutions, offers innovative financial solutions to millions of consumers, small businesses and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under the J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Our history spans over 200 years and today we are a leader in investment banking, consumer and small business banking, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
Note : For your candidature to be considered on this job, you need to apply necessarily on the company's redirected page of this job. Please make sure you apply on the redirected page as well.