Assistant Manager at Indian Institute of Technology Bombay Development and Relations Foundation
Views:777 Applications:142 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:126
IIT Bombay - Chief Operating Officer - Technocraft Centre For Applied Artificial Intelligence (15-18 yrs)
Chief Operating Officer - Technocraft Centre For Applied Artificial Intelligence
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay is an autonomous institute and a deemed university in Powai, Mumbai, India. IIT Bombay was founded in 1958 and decreed by the Parliament of India as an Institute of National Importance. IIT Bombay has been consistently ranked as the number one university in India by QS World University Rankings.
The Board of Governors of IIT Bombay in its 257th meeting held on 4th June 2021, approved setting up the 'Technocraft Centre for Applied Artificial Intelligence (TCAAI)' in the institute which will contribute significantly to the mission of the Institute and Nation. The Centre will engage in focused research areas of Operations Research using Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, and Automation to applied works in industrial settings. Artificial Intelligence is expected to be a major driver of industrial, economic, and social progress in the years to come.
Through the Centre, IIT Bombay wants to become a forerunner in applied AI and be an enabler of the national goal of leadership in applied AI through the expertise of faculty in AI, Data Sciences, Machine Learning and Optimization. In addition to the research and developmental activities, the Centre will also spread awareness of applications of AI and offer certificate programs and tailored courses to Industry professionals.
To know more about centre please visit the website https://www.tcaai.iitb.ac.in/
Job Purpose & Role of COO:
- The role involves working with faculty of IIT Bombay, public sectors, private sectors, defense, and various government agencies in areas of Artificial Intelligence, Data Sciences, Operations Research, and Optimization. Establish a strong connect between government, defense, public and private sectors with TCA2I to undertake projects that academia and industry can jointly solve.
- Make strategic planning and build successful partnerships to solve problems leveraging AI/ML expertise available at IIT Bombay. Monitor all projects run at the center and ensure their timely and successful delivery.
- The role shall involve managing operations and growth of TCAAI with a strategy for modelling a sustainable center with strong commercialization outcomes.
- More specifically, responsibility spans across developing innovative models for enabling and facilitating translational research and innovation driven projects working closely with the professors, students, early-stage startups, and PhD scholars of IIT Bombay.
- It also includes creating the mechanism, enabling environment and facilitative resources to enable research and innovation to be commercialized. Another key responsibility shall include helping the center to become financially sound and finding resources/funding available for hi-end research and related commercialization activities.
- The COO would work closely with center's academic project investigators, core committees, review committee, and the Advisory board and meet the vision of the center. This role will be instrumental in achieving the Vision & Mission of the centre:
Vision : To create a platform to enable Academia and Industry sectors to leverage the benefits of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning techniques.
Mission : To foster collaboration between Industry and Academia in Applied Artificial Intelligence through various outreach programs and teaching activities. Undertaking joint projects with industry and defense sectors. Solving grand challenges of societal importance in collaboration with industry.
Key Responsibilities :
- To establish and grow the organization by building strategy for modelling a sustainable center with strong commercialization outcomes and managing operations.
- Work with various departments and administrative units at IIT Bombay to establish core facilities/ infrastructure and technology platform for the Centre.
- Establish partnership with leading private and public research centers, to drive joint research and academic programs.
- Collaborate with government and defense agencies in developing AI based solutions.
- Position and market the Centre to be able to attract top talent for research, innovation commercialization and execution.
- Develop a relevant, high performance and cost optimized team to deliver on the commercialization and other organizational building and sustainability goals of the Centre.
- Model an approach for replication, guidance, and creation of relevant processes to develop other similar centers across India.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge on emerging key technologies for development activities (front-end, back-end, databases) and recruit the project staff with the necessary skills as per the project requirements.
- Identify necessary training programs for the center's project staff to prepare them to deliver projects successfully
Desired Experience/ competencies :
- An excellent academic pedigree with over 15 years of relevant experience.
- Ability to build a strong working network of expert scientists, entrepreneurs and other experts in the AI & ML space, corporate leadership and investors.
- Preference in project management.
- Managerial experience of setting up or running operations of new business units would be an advantage.
- Experience in active working and execution of projects of importance to our country's defense in intersection of core technology with AI,ML.
The compensation for the role will be competitive with similar roles in the 'not for profit' sector and will have a core and variable component tied to key result areas.
This job opening was posted long time back. It may not be active. Nor was it removed by the recruiter. Please use your discretion.