HSBC - Manager - Markets Operations - Equity Collateral Services (6-8 yrs)
Business : Markets Operations
Role Title : Manager
Immediate Supervisor's Role Title : Equity Collateral Service Manager
Customer Segment & Location : Bangalore
Role Purpose :
- Client facing, this role has significant exposure to fail risk that can expose HSBC to both reputational and financial risk. The incumbent must be able to operate independently within the guidelines that govern this market and the firm.
- As part of the Markets Operations strategic model, HSBC have an operations hub in Kuala Lumpur, Manila and Bangalore within the Global Service Centre. These support multiple products and legal entities and are responsible for various functions within the trade life cycle.
- The operations are organised in product teams which are in line with the overall Markets Operations structure: Equities, Fixed Income, FX/MM, Cross Product Services, Client Data Services and Collateral Management & Client Valuation Operations.
- The Equity Derivatives and Prime Finance Swaps settlements team forms part of the wider Equities Operations department and are responsible for ensuring that cash flows for Equity Derivative and Prime Finance Swaps settlements are affirmed, settled on value date and breaks are investigated until resolution.
In addition there are other support functions including Finance, People Development and Business Risk & Control Management :
- Understand, follow and demonstrate compliance with all relevant internal and external rules, regulations and procedures that apply to the conduct of the business in which you are involved, specifically Internal Controls and any Compliance policy including, inter alia, the Group Compliance policy.
- Maintain HSBC Internal Control standards, including the timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- Ensure proper escalation to management or trading desk to protect the firm against risk exposure.
- Be aware of the Operational Risk scenario associated with your role and act in a manner that takes account of operational risk considerations.
- Support the Securities Finance Front Office within a settlements role relating to collateral management.
- Daily responsibility for collateral transaction processing, monitoring and aiding collateral settlement, account reconciliation, investigation and remediation of imbalances.
- Investigation and resolution of failing transactions.
- Provide exceptional service and developing relationships with large institutional clients.
- Responsible for Mark to Markets.
- Daily monitoring of exposure.
- Processing of wire payments.
- Review and resolve daily reconciliation breaks.
- Investigate and resolve collateral disputes, respond to client queries (internal & external).
- Maintain and update procedures as necessary.
Principal Accountabilities :
- Adherence to KRI & KPI targets as set by Global Operations Management
- Deliver Risk & Control Framework
- Adherence to Regulatory requirements. E.g. DFA & EMIR.
- Cost Review & Rationalisation.
- Process Improvements and Cost Savings Realisation.
- Support delivery of market-led initiatives.
- Partner and Input into Operating Model Strategy.
- Deliver - Offshoring Strategy.
- Engagement in Group wide initiatives.
- Create a change culture within the Operations.
- Lead People agenda.
- Develop and enhance Client Service Operating Model.
Typical KPIs and Targets :
- Own and manage KRI targets set by each product line Globally, and engagement in regular risk and control meetings to explain numbers; plus input into the monthly Global MI packs, and reviewing offshore controls and issues with regional management.
- Input and delivery of process / capacity enhancements that will positively effect the KPI's and allow more Business volume to be supported with minimal incremental headcount
- Actively manage KRIs to minimise risk. E.g. Nostro/Stock/inter-system breaks, Failed trades, Client Money and Unaffirmed Confirmations
- Reduction in Operational losses versus the previous year.
- Ensure regular control reviews are performed and key issues identified and resolved.
- Implementation of Regulatory change initiatives per required standards.
- Identification of Key operational and Regulatory related risks & escalated in a timely manner.
- Accuracy in billed headcount and rationalization of overtime.
- Work closely with the team to deliver efficiencies which result in tangible benefits and increases the effectiveness of the department.
- Support delivery of Markets Ops led initiatives.
- Champion and influence case for change and drive implementation with the appropriate stakeholder support.
- Ensure implementation of Target Operating Model.
- Ensure Kuala Lumpur/Manila/Bangalore successfully take on board new migrations from the hubs with no negative impact on operational risk, client service and efficiency.
- Where appropriate, work with internal teams to improve the overall footprint and ensure we stay aligned to the Business goals.
- Reflect change agenda and delivery in all Operational goals. Encourage process improvements.
- Create an open, transparent, communicative environment, where success is driven from feedback and People Survey.
- Continually improve on client service.
- Build and embed a client focussed culture within the team.
- Drive behaviour that will influence enforcement of Risk & Control framework for Markets Operations
- Maintain team engagement through development activities; training and succession planning.
- Regular dialogue with management team collectively.
- Regular 1:1's with the team.
- Create greater formality on communication through management layers.
- In-depth understanding of how the business is organised/ structured and effectively articulate to the department.
- Engage with wider teams to promote best practice and knowledge sharing.
- Drive a culture for escalation and compliance. Success managed through identification and remediation of daily issues and appropriate escalation to management. Demonstrate positive trend in number of ops incidents.
- Active involvement in department risk initiatives, including Risk Control Assessment.
- Strong understanding of operational risks inherent to the business supported.
- Monitor and track issues and remedial actions.
Leadership & Teamwork :
Leadership : This is imperative across a number of key deliverables. Leadership should exist in driving Risk and Control Framework, instilling a change culture into the organisation, driving cross-departmental/divisional initiatives and discussions and representing Markets Operations at the necessary regional forums.
Teamwork : Create an environment where both within and outside of your direct responsibilities, Markets Operations are viewed as team players, striving to deliver in partnership with colleagues in the organisation.
Your Management team should be instrumental in creating this culture with you and realising that the successes that can be achieved are much more achievable collectively.
Business Strategy & Global Focus : Understand the business strategy, the organisation and structure.
Operational Effectiveness & Control :
- Partner with Risk Managers across Global sites to ensure joined up and consistent approach to risk and control.
- Engagement in discussions around capacity and work drivers and setting of brightlines.
- Work with Global Businesses to ensure that the framework is consistent across Markets Operations and Global in nature.
- Create rigid risk & control environment from junior team members through to management team.
- Support formal escalation framework across all aspects of Operations, including day to day operational risks and systemic risks.
- Partner with Audit and Compliance regionally to resolve high audit items, deliver prompt resolution and actions, and take ownership where appropriate; and liaise with relevant Business stream to provide updates and transparency.
Role Context :
The role has full responsibility for staffing within the teams, in conjunction with the GSC Product Head, including recruitment and staffing decisions, and also for all aspects of the local control environment. It must, however comply with the Global Best Practice and agreed process flows as defined by the global management team.
Management of Risk (Operational Risk / FIM requirements) :
- Is aware of the Operational Risk scenario associated with the role and acts in a manner that takes account of operational risk considerations.
- Adheres to the HSBC control framework and promotes excellent risk management across the function.
- Close working partnership with the Business Risk and Control team.
Observation of Internal Controls (Compliance Policy / FIM requirements) :
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- Understands, follows and demonstrates compliance with all relevant internal and external rules, regulations and procedures that apply to the conduct of the business in which the jobholder is involved, specifically Internal Controls and any Compliance policy including, inter alia, the Group Compliance policy.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements :
- 6-8 years of experience.
- Previous collateral management experience with a large broker/dealer preferred.
- Knowledge of Fixed Income Securities including Repo and Collateral Management.
- Be a key team player.
- Strong Communication Skills in both oral and written forms.
- Ability to Meet Deadlines.
- Ability to Handle High-Pressure Situations.
- Ability to Perform Multiple Tasks.
- Organizational Skills with Special Emphasis on the Ability to Prioritize Responsibilities.
- Detail Orientation - specifically the ability to recognize unusual flows/triggers for collateral in agreements and new trade structures.
- Proficiency in establishing new client relationships and effectively managing existing relationships to meet the financial and business goals of the organization.
- Have a flexible attitude towards working hours.
- Graduate caliber.
- Must have knowledge of Tri-Party and Bi-Lateral Processes.
- Knowledge of BNY Access Edge a plus.
- Knowledge of Global One a plus.
- A full understanding of Collateral, Stock Borrowing, and Lending Operations.