Independent Legal Recruiter at Avimukta
Views:2031 Applications:280 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:254
General Counsel Role - Legal - Manufacturing & Infrastructure Group (15-23 yrs)
General Counsel - India (Mumbai) - Multinational Manufacturing and Infrastructure Group
A leading multinational key manufacturing and infrastructure operator is looking to appoint a General Counsel for India, to be based in Mumbai. The business is looking for an experienced generalist lawyer to provide the strategic delivery of a broad range of high-quality legal services to the India and APAC region.
Reporting to the Group General Counsel, you will provide senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manage the legal function, and obtain and oversee the work of outside counsel. You will be directly involved in complex business transactions in negotiating critical contracts.
Alongside infrastructure project specific development, contract and compliance work, you will:
- Control, manage and direct the activities of the India Legal Function
- Participate in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provide continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters
- Serve as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and other critical contracts
- Judge the merits of major court cases filed against or on behalf of the company, work with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategic defence and approve settlements of disputes where warranted
- Assume ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Structure and manage the company's internal legal function and staff; provide continuous leadership, supervision, training and development of department staff ensuring an effective and motivated team
- Oversee the selection, retention, management and evaluation of all outside counsel
- Participate in committees, working groups and other fora of relevance, as required
You will need to be a minimum of 15-20 PQE having trained at a prominent law firm and ideally possess some in-house experience within a comparative multinational environment. Ideally you will have some experience of working in the industry, or an associated heavier industry including but not limited to engineering, manufacturing, energy or construction.
The position requires a strong experience in various areas of business law, in particular: contract law, corporate law and M&A. Experience in infrastructure projects, financing arrangements, construction contracts and the procurement function in general would be highly regarded. The role is uniquely characterized with high levels of responsibility and complexity and you will need to be able to showcase a good mix of discretion and assertiveness in your behavioural style.