Senior Manager at Caspian Impact Investment Adviser Private Limited
Views:1408 Applications:107 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:107
Caspian Impact Investments - Associate/Senior Associate - Underwriting (2-5 yrs)
Caspian Debt is a specialized debt vehicle registered as a non-banking finance company (NBFC) and backed by reputed investors like SIDBI Venture Capital, Gray Ghost Ventures (USA), FMO (Dutch Govt Development Finance Institution), DFC (USA), and Triodos Investment Management, apart from its promoter Caspian Equity. Over the past 9 years, Caspian Debt has provided debt finance of about INR 25 Bn to more than 200 small and medium corporate entities across several high-impact sectors like food & agribusiness, financial inclusion, healthcare, clean energy, education, drinking water, etc. Caspian Debt takes an investment approach to lending.
Our loan ticket sizes range from INR 0.5-150 million. We provide a wide variety of financial products which include term loans, working capital, purchase order finance, bill discounting, receivables finance, revolving limits, venture debt, subordinated debt, guarantees, quasi-equity, etc. Unlike traditional lenders, Caspian Debt does not make lending decisions based on mortgage collateral but instead, depends upon business data and customized product structuring to make loans to high-impact companies.
Caspian is transitioning to Impact and ESG focussed Credit Asset Manager and intends to set up several sector focussed funds and also raise equity at the NBFC level. It continuously needs to raise debt funding from both domestic as well as international lenders.
Caspian promotes meritocracy and is an equal-opportunity employer. You will be an important part of our organization and will have a key role in our continuing success. Working as a team is critically important at Caspian. Our organization is lean and requires efficient solutions, unencumbered by excessive bureaucracy. As a result, we work together to find the most innovative answers, maintaining a very entrepreneurial environment.
We encourage you to visit our website at https://www.caspiandebt.in/ for more information on the firm
Job Purpose/ Description
The Associate / Sr. Associate - Underwriting is responsible for all financial and operational analysis relating to new credit proposals within the context of the investment policy at Caspian Debt. S/he is a key source of information on business models and sectors that Caspian Debt operates in.
Duties and Responsibilities
Analysis (primary role)
- Own the preliminary screening process for fresh loan applications and process a thorough financial analysis and background verification of the business as per Caspian Debt investment policy and TAT guidelines.
- Own the responsibility of collecting data from the client at different stages of the proposal.
- Undertake the detailed due diligence process in collaboration with the Investment Manager.
- Own the responsibility of writing a detailed credit proposal which includes undertaking financial and business analysis. Collaborate with the Investment Manager in reviewing the final credit proposal and presenting the same to the Management / Credit Committee for final decision making.
Insight (primary role)
- Conduct industry/sector and business model evaluation on a regular basis and identify key success factors and/or areas of concern.
Short-term projects support (secondary role)
- Undertake short-term projects to help improve the current process or execute new initiatives.
Qualifications that are necessary for someone to be considered for the position:
Experience: At least one to two years of experience in credit analysis or financial modelling in an SME/corporate/wholesale lending institution or credit rating agencies or credit data services firms; or business / financial consulting experience in impact sectors like food & agriculture, clean energy/energy efficiency, healthcare, education, financial services, etc.
Education: Graduate/Post-graduate degree in any discipline.
- Strong understanding of financial statements and ratio analysis.
- Knowledge of MS Excel
- Ability to conduct secondary and primary research on the market and determine success factors for businesses.
- Skilled in expressing ideas clearly and persuasively, both verbally and in writing.
- The candidate has a strong analytical judgement in respect of credit matters, and the ability to form an overview of things.
- Has humility and drive in equal measure; carries a strong appetite for learning new things.
- Empathy for real-world problems.
- Integrity, reliability, and independence. Has good personal discipline and planning capabilities, is confident working to deadlines without constant detailed supervision.
- Accuracy, precision, and attention to detail.
- Ability to form good working relationships with the team.
The role involves moderate levels of travel of 7-10 days per month, anywhere in India.
Direct reports Individual Contributor