Barclays - Senior VP - Investigations & Whistleblowing - BX I&W - APAC (14-25 yrs)
Overall Purpose of Role
The BX I&W Investigator is responsible for conducting confidential investigations, primarily relating to the BX entity, including but not limited to whistleblowing concerns. The BX I&W Investigator will also be responsible for supporting the Head of APAC Investigations with the management of the APAC I&W Portfolio. This includes proactively identifying, assessing and escalating potential risks, themes and trends both within the APAC portfolio and more broadly across the BX and I&W portfolios. As a member of the I&W team, the BX I&W Investigator will also be responsible for participating in the continuous improvement of I&W processes and the delivery of key priorities and deliverables.
The primary duties of the BX I&W Investigator are to:
- Own and be accountable for the end to end delivery of investigations into whistleblowing matters and ad-hoc matters allocated to them. These will primarily be BX entity concerns raised in APAC; however, the BX I&W Investigator may also be required to support on concerns regarding other entities and regions.
- Conduct between 6 to 8 investigations at any given time, largely in line with internal milestones.
- Proactively identify where support may be required and request Investigations Support as needed.
- Be accountable for the completion of all necessary investigative steps to ensure the prompt and effective identification of key facts and evidence. Such steps include but are not limited to, identifying data for review, reviewing large volumes of complex data, planning and conducting interviews and assessing multiple pieces of evidence to come to an impartial outcome.
- Draft high quality investigation reports as a standalone record of the investigation, including clear and concise analysis of the facts and conclusions which are supported by the facts.
- Ensure that all investigative steps, including those delegated to other colleagues, are delivered in line with bank-wide and I&W governance, processes, controls and requirements.
- Provide regular briefings to I&W Management on the progress of investigations including any potential delays or issues; and any potential findings or risks identified during the course of an investigation. The BX I&W Investigator will also be expected to support the Head of APAC Investigations and I&W Management with the production of high quality talking points suitable for senior stakeholders.
- Participate in the management of risks across APAC, BX and the Group, including ensuring that recommendations are appropriately defined, tracked and implemented; and working with the business to ensure that any potential risks have been appropriately considered across all processes.
- Leverage data and insights from investigations to identify and assess potential themes and trends and work with stakeholders to ensure these are appropriately escalated and addressed by the business.
- Participate in the continuous improvement of the I&W team, including identifying potential control enhancements and leading and/or supporting I&W Management with the delivery of I&W priorities and commitments.
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
The BX I&W Investigator will regularly be required to engage with internal stakeholders of varying seniority, this includes but is not limited to APAC Business Oversight Compliance and the Business representatives in the APAC region. The BX I&W Investigator will also work closely alongside other members of the I&W Team including the Head of BX Investigations, the BX Investigators, Investigations Support and the Whistleblowing Team. On occasion, the BX I&W Investigator may also engage with senior internal and external stakeholders including members of the Compliance Management Team, the Whistleblowers Champions and regulators.
The role holder should be able to engage in sensitive and complex matters with empathy and impartiality. The BX I&W Investigator will be expected to relay messages clearly and concisely, with awareness of the remit of the stakeholder. The role is expected to work collaboratively with colleagues to obtain relevant information and feel comfortable constructively challenging stakeholders of varying seniority, including in a formal interview setting. Additionally, the role holder will be expected to competently provide clear instructions and feedback to colleagues.
As a member of the I&W team, the BX I&W Investigator will also participate in developing a positive culture within the I&W team, with a focus on execution, excellence and continuous improvement.
Decision-making and Problem Solving
The BX I&W Investigator will be required to deliver a number of complex and sensitive matters. They are expected to deal with all matters impartially, with empathy and in line with internal processes and controls. The role holder should be capable of checking and challenging information and data; and drawing a fact based conclusion from a broad range of evidence. They will also be expected to leverage data analysis and MI to inform decisions and identify potential risks and themes within the portfolio. They will be comfortable receiving check, challenge and feedback on their work product and able to explain the bases for their investigative decisions.
Due to the confidential and sensitive nature of the work conducted by the I&W team, the BX I&W Investigator is expected to act with integrity, have a strong moral compass and display a high appreciation of risk indicators. The role holder will be expected to be a positive culture carrier for the team and to display the Barclays Mindset.
The role holder is expected to be a proactive individual who displays high levels of curiosity and independent thinking and is comfortable constructively challenging stakeholders of varying seniority. The BX I&W Investigator should be an independent self-starter who has a proven record driving forward a portfolio of work, working in a high pressure environment to progress deliverables simultaneously. They will be expected to have excellent attention to detail and communication skills.
Essential Skills/Basic Qualifications
- Significant experience conducting sensitive and complex investigations, or a similar activity, in a corporate environment.
- Excellent attention to detail with high levels of curiosity and a proven record of effectively challenging evidence to form an impartial conclusion based on multiple sources of evidence.
- Significant experience independently owning and delivering a portfolio of work at pace, including delegating activities, effectively responding to changes in demand and identifying and escalating potential issues or delays.
- Strong stakeholder management skills, including engaging with empathy and impartially.
- A proven record of effectively, succinctly and clearly communicating with stakeholders, both verbally and in writing and including to respond to challenge on their work product and investigative decisions.
Desirable skills/Preferred Qualifications
- A strong understanding of the BX organisation in APAC including the governance structure, strategy and services.
- Experience effectively and efficiently reviewing and challenging evidence, including electronic communications data, to form an impartial conclusion; and able to competently explain decisions and outcomes.
- Demonstrable risk excellence mindset, including an understanding of Barclays Risk Framework and proven record of proactively identifying, assessing and escalating potential risks or themes.
- Experience identifying and participating in continuous improvement and control enhancement initiatives.