Assistant Manager at Viacom18 Media Pvt. Ltd.
Views:1886 Applications:185 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:2
Viacom18 - Vice President - Litigation - LLB (12-15 yrs)
Vice President - Litigation
Job Purpose : Managing and advising on Litigation and Intellectual Properties related matters
- Manage all litigation cases filed against Viacom18, its Directors and employees or which Viacom18 files against any third parties covering civil, criminal and taxation related matters.
- Liaise with external counsels for activities like filing cases, providing case briefs, assisting in development of defence, collation of information from relevant sources, finalising the organisation's stand and arguments in order to ensure that Viacom18 is well represented in the court in a cost-effective manner.
- Ensure speedy recovery of dues in cases of default in payments to Viacom18 by any third party.
Legal Support to Business and IPR:
- Strategize critical litigations by assessing the organisation's position in disputes, proposing the best possible solutions for resolution (court trials, out-of-court settlement, arbitration etc.) to ensure that the organisation's legal stand is safeguarded
- Ensure protection of all Intellectual Properties of Viacom18 by ensuring timely filing and registration of IPR's, setting up robust systems to manage IPR registrations and providing effective legal advice in ambiguous situations.
- Organize and conduct IPR related training and awareness sessions for business units and functions to sensitize them and advise customization of processes basis challenges faced.
External and internal stakeholder management:
- Maintain excellent working relationships with external stakeholders (advocates and counsels representing Viacom18 interests inside and outside court etc.)
- Build and cultivate key internal stakeholder relationships to better understand business needs and provide accurate, timely legal support to various business units and functions
- Provide legal counsel to Viacom18 business units and functions on latest amendments to legislations and other legal developments impacting business with special reference to Judgments given by High Courts and Supreme Court on the industry, copyright, trademark laws etc.
- Manage legal budget with respect to disputes with a focus on reducing spends.
- Review the capabilities of external counsels in all fields and jurisdictions and seek to rationalise the external counsel engaged thereby driving cost savings and in the interest of effective litigation management.
Key Performance Indicators:
- No. of cases closed (including ambiguous / complex cases)
- Timeliness for recovery
- Timeliness of resolution of dispute cases
- Litigation and IPR registration cost
- Stakeholder feedback on quality of legal advice offered
Qualifications & Experience
- Above 12-14 years. With experience in an in-house counsel role and significant experience as a practicing lawyer
- Understanding of media industry preferred
IP experience must have.
Skills & Competencies
- Strategic Thinking
- Business and legal Acumen
- Problem solving skills
- Negotiation skills
- Influencing skills