Human Resources at Ummeed Child Development Center
Views:966 Applications:149 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:97
Ummeed - Lead - Information Technology (10-12 yrs)
Context about the space and about Ummeed
Karan (name changed) has been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Global Developmental Delays, and Epilepsy. He has been coming to Ummeed for a year now and has been receiving trans-disciplinary services at the center - he has attended Ummeed's early intervention center program, received occupational therapy and autism therapy interventions, along with support from the social work team.
Like Karan, India has over 50 million children with disabilities under the age of 15. With access to appropriate health intervention, education, recreation and livelihood services, they can be supported to become happy and productive members of society. Today, most of them and their families have limited or no access to relevant knowledge and services as the number of organizations and professionals in the space are inadequate to meet the need.
When the COVID-19 pandemic broke out, Karan's parents were extremely concerned about his safety and development. They were grateful to know that Ummeed was continuing services online quickly got Karan ready for autism therapy through video calls. In the early days of the lockdown, Karan's mother found it difficult to balance supporting Karan while managing all the household chores. In one of Ummeed's online family support group meetings, she heard stories from other caregivers about how they were looking after themselves while balancing all their other responsibilities. This led Karan's mother to identify strategies that would work for her, and as a result, Karan is now receiving daily intervention that is helping his ongoing development!
Ummeed, a premier non-profit organization for children with disabilities in India, was founded in 2001 by Dr. Vibha Krishnamurthy, a developmental pediatrician. Ummeed's vision is to help children with developmental disabilities reach their full potential and be included in society. As an organization with about 100 committed professionals, Ummeed's transdisciplinary approach works to:
- Support children with disabilities through direct clinical services and help their families in their journey towards acceptance and empowerment
- Build a network of trained professionals and community workers who can prevent, diagnose, and manage developmental disabilities effectively
- Change societal attitudes so that children with disabilities can be meaningful and productive members
- Over 19 years, Ummeed's transdisciplinary team has directly worked with over 10,000 children and their families, and supported another 2,50,000 indirectly through its trainees from all parts of India.
Over the last three years, Ummeed has been implementing internal IT systems to be able to better track, manage and analyze its data. This has included Clinic, Training, Human Resources, and Donor Management Systems. For over two years, Ummeed has conducted online trainings (called ECHO clinics) using Zoom.
Both of the above interventions allowed Ummeed to innovate and adapt rapidly in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Since the last eight months of the lockdown, Ummeed has been doing all its work - clinical sessions, training programs, awareness interventions - online.
About the Position:
The senior managerial position will lead/direct Ummeed's efforts to delineate the Information Technology strategy and execute it, while ensuring that it is aligned to Ummeed's operational requirements and enables Ummeed's strategic outreach initiatives. The position is a forward looking position demanding strategic thinking, awareness of technological trends and of the disability space, and strong execution focus.
Major responsibilities of the position will include:
- Defining and implementing a scalable strategy, policies and systems/processes to manage and continuously build on Ummeed's digital infrastructure and information assets in accordance with Ummeed's strategic and operational goals
- Collaborating with Ummeed's teams to evaluate, recommend and implement technology driven options and solutions to best achieve their goals and objectives
- Putting together and tracking an annual IT infrastructure and operations budget and assisting in fund raising for the same
- Overseeing the procurement, installation and operations of computer systems, productivity and collaboration systems, security solutions and organization-wide support utilities/applications
- Implementing optimal solutions to cater to the IT support needs of Ummeed staff
- Hiring and managing information systems personnel and contractors/vendors and/or engaging consultants as required.
Minimum qualifications, Skills required:
- We are looking for someone who is passionate about working in the social sector and has 10 to 12 years- work experience in the IT space within the corporate or social sector. Of these, at least 5 years should have been either in a managerial role, with responsibilities to define and implement elements of an organization's IT strategy, or as a senior consultant for IT infrastructure planning and implementation. Experience working on health care systems, training/learning management systems will be an advantage. The person must have:
- Excellent organization and project management skills to plan and coordinate with multiple teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills and oral communication skills to liaise with Ummeed staff, external vendors, and families & children
- Excellent collaboration skills to partner with all of Ummeed's operational teams and support change management
- Great problem-solving skills to deal with problems and find solutions or workarounds
- Initiative to plan, execute, anticipate and report risks
- The above is a full-time position involving 8 hours per day/ 40 hours a week.
- A challenging but flexible work environment that offers opportunities for growth and creating impact at scale
- A leadership that invests in its people, giving them the freedom to explore, innovate, learn, while responsibly delivering on committed outcomes
- A strong culture of respecting diversity, being inclusive and committed to serving children with disabilities and their families
- An opportunity to work in collaboration with a diverse group of highly passionate, motivated and talented individuals If you are looking for a fulfilling role in the non-profit sector and would like to support a cutting-edge organization leverage technology to widen its reach and impact, do apply for this position