Senior Manager at Bennett Coleman & Co. Ltd.
Views:1703 Applications:175 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:0
Times Group - Investment/Portfolio Growth & Exit Management Role - Brand Capital (6-10 yrs)
About Brand Capital (http://brandcapital.co.in/) :
Brand Capital is the VC/PE investment arm of Bennett, Coleman & Co. Limited (BCCL) that focuses on partnering consumer-centric businesses. At Brand Capital, we put the unmatched might of our media offerings coupled with our brand building expertise, behind creating iconic brands through innovative investment models. Over 850 investee companies across sectors as wide as Retail, FMCG, Consumer Durables, Realty, Digital and Mobile, E-Retail, Health & Wellness, Financial Services, Consumer Services and several more.
Some notable investments in India to quote: Flipkart, Snapdeal, Uber, AirBnB, BigBasket, Byju, MobiQwik, Quikr, MCX, IIFL, Aegon, Future Group, Yatra.com, Gitanjali, Mufti, Indiamart, Amity, Rasna, Portea, LifeCell, Durian, Smaash, Meru, Zoomcar, Premier Futsal, Lodha, Indiabulls, Faasos, Croma, Pantaloons
The Portfolio Growth & Exits team manages the full life cycle of the VC fund management process from pre-investment validation of all Brand Capital deals, to nurturing and growing the portfolio and facilitating exits through different modes from its investments from time to time. At the same time, the team integrates the Brand Capital outreach within the ecosystems of Angel/VC/PE funds and also the domestic and global strategic players.
Ideal Candidate :
- Should be a Chartered Accountant or CFA with 6-10 year experience
- Primary experience in leading Corporate Finance / Investment banking teams - Sell side(preferred) /managing strategic investments in diversified corporates
- Working experience in the Angel/VC space in closing deals/active experience in M&A/PE/VC deal closures domestic or cross border desired
- Full cycle Private Equity experience additionally could we welcomed
Roles and Responsibilities :
- Exit Management : Manage portfolio management database, develop multiple exit strategies and policies along with multiple tools and techniques for the various class of assets in order to optimize return on BCCL's portfolio. Lead a team of professionals to achieve the goals of the business as mentioned above. Engage with the companies promoters, other co-investors, if any to ensure governance and also business growth and interests are adequately managed with active oversight.
- Pre - Investment Committee Process : Recommend standards and checks for the Pre - IC process, prepare an intelligent database and repository of IC decisions and progress made by teams on a national basis in order to leverage learning's from the past for course correction and optimizing BCCL's Brand Capital macro decisions. Lead and drive the pre-investment process with active constructive inputs to help better structure new deals to help the company as well as ensure adequate exit terms/conditions.
- Operating Partner Role and Ideating and leading exit strategies and execution of the same - Act as a Principal driver in exploring avenues for funding for the portfolio companies as needed from time to time through networking and guidance of even engaging relevant advisors to achieve the outcome during the harvesting period of investments. While also plan for possible strategic/financial and other avenues for a potential future exit with the company and the promoters and achieve the same in a defined time period.
- Provisioning: Plan and coordinate the implementation of activities for valuation of the unlisted portfolio by a 3rd party, decide on provisioning to be made using latest qualitative and quantitative inputs, carry out other special initiatives as required in order to give the correct reflection of provisions to be made for Brand Capital by BCCL.
- Equity Deal Mandates : Develop exit mandates for BCCL portfolio stake - develop and execute deals in Strategic stake sale, primary and secondary stake deals. Plan and maintain the custody of original agreements, security papers, and important papers and subsequently subject them to periodic physical audit in order to provide safe and easy central access to above documents.
About the Portfolio Growth & Exits Management Team :
- Review and manage the investment portfolio of BCCL nationally and moving ahead also in the US with the recent addition of the SFO office of Brand Capital.
- Identify and develop a plan for generating optimal returns from portfolio through strategic sale, Primary and Secondary sale and assist BD on the new deal pipeline.
- Ideate and drive strategic partnership opportunities for portfolio companies and also cross-border M&A feasibilities within the portfolio to optimize the most suitable trajectory for the company and in turn drive exits.
- Monitor the performance and liquidity of portfolio on an ongoing basis and also act as an Operating Partner in identified companies to help them grow or navigate through the current phase as suitable with a view to make them exit ready in future. Also, explore portfolio business synergies within the Brand Capital Portfolio where feasible.
- Contribute to the development of the strategic growth initiatives of select companies to tap opportunities that may emerge from time to time, to either leverage a first mover's advantage or in some case respond to protect a business segment/strategic investments.
- Lead the investor ecosystem outreach of Brand Capital across various investor types such as angels, VC, PE and strategics while also drive the internal funding platform for facilitating curated internal portfolio companies to be showcased to the suitable funding ecosystem.
- Engage, appoint external advisors/investment bankers/consultants as may be needed from time to time with the management of the companies and review their outcome and execution from time to time.
- Act as Mentors on various internal forums for portfolio companies from time to time to guide companies on Scaleup and other strategic matters.
- Coordinate with the business development team of Brand Capital / potential investors/promoters of investee companies/market intermediaries for updates and closure of deals
- Represent enterprise and institutional functions of Brand Capital
- Minimize organizational obligations and risks through enterprise risk management operatives and directive
- Coordinate third party valuation exercise for the unlisted portfolio; recommend standards and checks for the IC process with the objective of optimizing return on liquidation of assets made by Brand Capital.
Please note we are looking for CAs only.