Talent Acquisition at Third Sector Partners
Views:2424 Applications:105 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:0
State Program Manager - NGO (10-15 yrs)
The Aga Khan Foundation (India) (AKF (India)) is a member of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), a group of 11 independent development agencies addressing the needs of poor and marginalised communities in more than thirty countries where it operates. The Foundation has been active in India since 1978, implementing programmes directly and in partnership with other AKDN agencies and implementing partners.
- Active in six states, its multi-sector programmes include the strengthening and expansion of agriculture and food security initiatives, economic inclusion, early childhood development, education, health and nutrition, including facilitating access to sanitation and clean drinking water, and the establishment of community institutions and building their capacity to lead and sustain development interventions.
Under new leadership and unified behind a strategic plan endorsed by its National Committee, AKF (India) is seeking to further expand and significantly strengthen its programme portfolio in Bihar, which includes direct implementation in Patna and supporting other AKDN institutions and implementing partners in selected districts in the state (Muzaffarpur, Samastipur, West Champaran, East Champaran, Saran and Siwan). AKF's Bihar programme portfolio includes interventions on early childhood development, improving the quality of primary education in collaboration with the Bihar Education Project Council, functional literacy, life skills education and vocational training for adolescent girls, facilitating access to sanitation, smallholder livestock rearing, agriculture development and diversification, and the creation and strengthening of community institutions, including apex institutions (eg farmer producer organisations).
For more information please visit - https://www.akdn.org/where-we-work/south-asia/india
Reason for hire:
- The Foundation is seeking to recruit an articulate, dynamic, enthusiastic and entrepreneurial Programme Manager to lead its programme interventions in Bihar, take existing work to scale, strengthen partnership and collaboration with other key stakeholders, document lessons and models for replication and significantly enhance the Foundation's profile in the state.
- The State Programme Manager will work in collaboration with the Foundation's sectoral leads to strengthen and improve all aspects of programme design, implementation and monitoring. The role will be demanding and fast-paced, with opportunities for collaboration across the programme team of AKF (India) as well as with the leadership and staff of other AKDN agencies. For the right individual, this will provide an exciting opportunity to provide overall leadership and strategic direction to AKF (India)'s work in the state, including regular dialogue and strengthening collaboration with government programmes and institutions at the state and district levels.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- The State Programme Manager will work with the Foundation's sectoral leads, and will report to the CEO to strengthen the existing programme portfolio, support the design of new initiatives and programmes in the state and provide overall leadership and direction to AKF's implementation team in the state.
- The position will lead a team of multi-sector professionals and will be responsible for the implementation of various programmes, monitoring their quality and ensuring innovation, effectiveness, and viability
Core Program focused responsibilities:
- Lead and provide strategic direction to AKF's programme portfolio in Bihar, with particular focus on monitoring the quality of implementation, assessing impact on target beneficiaries, and facilitating collaboration and convergence with government programmes and other stakeholders in the selected geographies.
- Drive the implementation of AKF (India)'s strategy in the state through operational planning and project management, identify priorities, design programmes, prepare budgets and implementation plans, and contribute to the development of effective proposals for funding or other collaboration.
- Identify bottlenecks in programme implementation and facilitate technical support for resolution of these from AKF thematic sector leaders.
- Manage the development and implementation of appropriate monitoring and evaluation systems for the various programmes, including the development of mobile based monitoring and MIS systems. Ensure that these systems regularly track programme progress and make available up-to-date and real-time data for management and strategic decision-making.
- Undertake regular field visits to programme sites to assess and report on implementation quality and progress.
- Keep abreast of sectoral developments in the state, particularly government programmes and priorities, and identify potential for collaboration.
- Maintain regular dialogue with other AKDN agencies and partners in the state, including field visits to AKDN programme sites within the state, and provide technical support as required for supporting and strengthening field implementation.
- As AKF's state representative, lead the dialogue with government departments, facilitating collaboration and convergence between AKF's programme and state government priorities.
- As administrative and financial head of the AKF office in Patna, lead and take responsibility for all administrative and office management tasks, including financial reporting and human resource management.
- Represent AKF at state level forums and events, and share information on AKF initiatives and programmes.
- Assist and contribute towards the development of high-quality presentations, fact sheets, concept papers, funding proposals, and other materials for effective external communications, positioning, and partner engagement.
- Organise planning meetings, workshops, conferences, and project visits for internal or external groups, as required.
- Carry out any other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the CEO.
- Ambitious, energetic, and hard-working professional with a background in any of AKF's priority sectors (education, agriculture development, economic inclusion, livelihood development, community health) and with 10-15 years of work experience, including a minimum of at least 5 years as team leader.
- Must share a sense of urgency about development and be committed to improving lives among India's most marginalised communities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Hindi.
- Must enjoy working in horizontal, cross-functional teams across departments and institutions; needs to be comfortable dealing with ambiguity, as well as situational authority and leadership.
- Solution-oriented, creative problem-solver, who can be versatile and is willing to work around obstacles.
- An ability to lead and motivate team members and set an example for high quality work is essential.
- Must be willing to work independently and to multi-task.