Views:216 Applications:48 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:48
Senior Legal Counsel - Retail Banking & Wealth Management - LLB (6-10 yrs)
- Possesses technical knowledge of the legal landscape for Retail Bank & Wealth Management with overarching accountability to the Head, Legal, India
- Lead and take responsibility for providing legal advice, guidance and support to business units and stakeholders on all legal matters relating to Retail Bank & Wealth Management
- Maintain close relationships with stakeholders including the Regional General Counsels and Retail Bank & Wealth Management Business Heads to provide them with relevant legal advice, guidance and support.
- Act as the primary legal adviser to the Retail Bank & Wealth Management businesses and provide them with strategic and, where appropriate, proactive advice, working with external counsel, the Group Head of Legal Private Banking & Wealth Management, Group Head of Legal for Retail Banking, Head of Legal for Retail and their respective teams as appropriate.
- Implement at country level the vision, strategy, direction set by the Head, Legal, India
- Promote a culture and practice of compliance with legal standards (including conducting business within legal and regulatory requirements, with high ethical standards).
- Lead through example and build an appropriate culture and values. Set an appropriate tone and expectations for the Retail Bank & Wealth Management Legal team as regards good conduct.
- Help to embed and implement global legal standards for Retail Bank & Wealth Management taking into account regional/country issues.
- Help to ensure that regulatory reform/changes are appropriately assessed within Legal from a Retail Bank & Wealth Management impact perspective and that any regulatory reform is appropriately escalated and managed.
- Member of a team providing Retail Bank & Wealth Management related legal advice with respect to new products and initiatives.
- Provide transactional support to Retail Bank & Wealth Management business having regard to Product Programme Authorisation. (PPG)/Country Addenda (CA) parameters and, if applicable, the Group's minimum standards and guidance for the relevant product(s) or service(s).
- Act as lead lawyer for complex multi-jurisdictional Retail Bank & Wealth Management transactions, collaborating with the relevant regional and/or country Head of Legal to provide seamless support to the business.
- Is accountable for, and has primary responsibility over, legal support for Retail Bank & Wealth Management matters in India
- Work with Product and other stakeholders to structure and define parameters for new products and initiatives and develop template legal documentation.
- Awareness and understanding of the wider business, economic and market environment in which the Group operates.
- Drive improvements to documentation processes and develop template legal documentation for Retail Bank & Wealth Management businesses that are fit for purpose and promote standardisation across the Group.
- Implement global standards and initiatives for legal matters in relation to all Retail Bank & Wealth Management businesses, including the Bank's position on departures from standard clauses, and applying a consistent approach to management of issues, in particular, to matters relating to regulatory reform.
- Support and oversee internal legal, external legal counsels and business teams supporting/working within Retail Bank & Wealth Management, and drive operational efficiencies/improvements.
- Promote clarity and understanding of Retail Bank & Wealth Management documentation within the Retail Bank & Wealth Management teams and if required, to conduct relevant training to Retail Bank & Wealth Management teams around documentation.
- Identify and find ways to reduce legal and reputational risk.
- Control the quality and cost of legal services provided by external law firms.
- Be aware of and understand the wider business, economic and market environment in which the Group operates.
- Interface with country legal and compliance on local regulatory issues.
- Assist in procuring that appropriate forms of legal documents are used for transactions with adequate protections and remedies for the Bank, and help management determine that transactions are valid and enforceable under the laws of all relevant jurisdictions.
- Promoting best practice and lessons learned within the India legal function, especially in relation to legal risks and compliance with relevant regulations and internal policies/procedures.
People and Talent
- Provide leadership and coaching to more junior members of the team to enable them to be highly engaged and perform to their potential.
- Promote best practice and lessons learned across the Retail Bank & Wealth Management Legal team, especially in relation to Retail Bank & Wealth Management legal risks and compliance with relevant regulations and internal policies/procedures.
- Act as Risk Control Owner for Legal Enforceability and Liability Risks arising in relation to Retail Bank & Wealth Management transactions, as outlined under the Operational Risk Framework and associated policies and procedures. Including but not limited to the following, if relevant:
- Identify material Legal risks and themes in the Retail Bank & Wealth Management business in India and communicate these to the Head Legal, India, as necessary.
- For the Legal Enforceability" Risk under the Operational Risk Type Framework, act as the Second Line of Defence authority delegated by the Head Legal, India to approve Residual Risk assessments for the checks performed for Retail Bank & Wealth Management businesses.
- Maintain an awareness and understanding of the top risks facing the country and the role played in managing them.
- Identify material Legal risks and themes in Singapore and communicate these to business stakeholders, as necessary.
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the Bank operates and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to role.
Regulatory & Business Conduct:
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.