Human Resources at Ummeed Child Development Center
Views:762 Applications:46 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:26
Ummeed - Project Manager - School Outreach Serives (5-10 yrs)
Rahul, a young child on the autism spectrum is enrolled in a regular school. There are 35 children in the classroom and the noise level during the unstructured portion of class-time (break-time, practice for school events, music, sports, drama and art class) is challenging for him. He seeks a quieter environment and a more predictable routine. Unable to express his wants but trying to communicate with them, he approaches the other children and pushes them apart. He then runs to his teacher and starts to poke and prod her, hoping she will intervene and support him. Instead, he is made to stand facing the corner. He is later taken to the principal's office and is scolded for not owning up and apologizing.
He experiences confusion about what happened, but knows he is a bad boy and that no one will play with him today. He feels sad and unhappy. Rahul's story is not unique, there are over 50 million children with or at risk of disabilities in India. . Few in the general population - including many doctors, therapists, and teachers - understand conditions such as autism, learning disabilities, and language delays. Such as it is for Rahul many children in school, are likely to be misunderstood, punished, bullied, and in the community, do not get access to fun and leisure the way typical children do.
Ummeed, a premier non-profit organization for children with disabilities in India, was founded in 2001 by Dr. Vibha Krishnamurthy, a developmental pediatrician. Ummeed supports children with developmental disabilities to reach their full potential and be included in society by providing family-centered care to children with developmental disabilities and their families. As an organization with a workforce of over 90 committed professionals, Ummeed's transdisciplinary approach works towards:
- Supporting children with disabilities through direct clinical services and helping families in their journey towards acceptance and empowerment
- Building a network of trained professionals and community workers who can prevent, diagnose, and manage developmental disabilities effectively
- Changing societal attitudes so that children with disabilities can be meaningful and productive members in it
The School Outreach Team at Ummeed has been working in the space of education to support children like Rahul. The team works with schools to promote inclusive ideas and practices for children with varied needs /disabilities in schools. Often families that come to Ummeed have concerns about schooling. Once in the school, they need ongoing support for variety of issues. The School Outreach Team envisages addressing these issues and building capacities in schools by spreading awareness and training various stake holders to support children with varied needs within the school system. Being on the School Outreach Team will give you the opportunity to advocate and work with various stake holders within a school and in the space of education to create awareness and sensitivity to promote an inclusive environment for children with varied needs, to reach their maximum learning potential in both academic and social arenas.
About the Position:
The Manager will play a critical role in the overall management of ongoing and new projects run by the School Outreach Team. He/she will be a thought-partner to the Director to strategize, plan, execute, track and monitor the work carried out by the team.
- Strategize and support the outreach programs towards promoting inclusion in different school systems
- Liaise with new schools and school systems to widen the scope of the team in the broader space of inclusion
- Build and support sustained school partnerships
- Develop and enhance existing systems and processes for the team towards completion of any project
- Build proposals and reports for projects as required
- Develop monitoring and evaluation processes and tools for existing or new projects and also collaborate with the M & E team
- Coordinate and work closely with other team members
- Document activities specific to School Outreach Program
- Be an advocate for children with varied learning needs/disabilities and their families within the school system and in the community
- The incumbent must have passion for working in the social sector with 5 to 7 years- work experience, with at least 2 years of project management (or similar) experience in the education space
- Knowledge and experience about the functioning of different types of schools will be an added advantage Essentials
- Proven experience as a Program Manager
- Experience of work within the school space (with children with disabilities will be preferred)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills - Excellent creativity and leadership skills
- Excellent managerial skills The above is a full-time position involving 8 hours per day/40 hours a week.
- A challenging but flexible work environment that offers opportunities for growth and creating impact at scale
- A leadership that invests in its people, giving them the freedom to explore, innovate, learn, while responsibly delivering on committed outcomes
- A strong culture of respecting diversity, being inclusive and committed to serving children with disabilities and their families
- An opportunity to work in collaboration with a diverse group of highly passionate, motivated and talented individuals
- Reporting to: Director, School Outreach Team
- We encourage persons with disabilities and parents of children with disabilities to apply