Principal - Investment - EdTech Startup (3-19 yrs)
Principal - Investment - EdTech Startup
- At TalentServe, we believe that a small number of exceptional people will have an extraordinary impact by creating the education companies which will shape the future. We also believe that, for many of these individuals, entrepreneurship is not an obvious or entirely legible career path.
- Bootstrapped so far and expanding the ambitious plans to further scale our impact over the coming years to go from Seed to IPO.
THE ROLE :
1. We are looking for a Principal to lead an investment unit of 3-5 people and one of our company-building programmes.
2. You will be accountable for driving investments into, and maximising outcomes for, exceptional individuals and the companies they build at TalentServe.
3. As a Principal, you have 6+ years of experience, ideally a mix of strategy and execution, with a proven track record of exceptional achievement. You have also gained expertise in company building and early-stage investment.
4. Talent Investors come in many guises, but it's essential that through your education, work and side projects, you have been exposed to exceptionally talented people.
5. We expect this role to be intense, fast-paced and entrepreneurial, with an opportunity for enormous impact and upside.
What You'll Do :
- Develop and execute different theses on where and how to find non-obviously exceptional founder talent:
- You will work with the CEO to develop and test your hypotheses about where and how these people aggregate.
- This will involve identifying particular communities or institutions which are talent-dense (we call these "talent clusters") and/or potential signals of exceptionalism (e.g. looking for winners of interesting prizes or scholarships).
- Build relationships with key nodes who can help you navigate talent clusters:
- We seek to build a deep understanding of a small number of dense talent clusters. To do this, we need to build enduring relationships with key nodes within these clusters, such as Computer Science Professors, or the leaders of interesting societies. You and your team will be responsible for helping your team identify these nodes, and leveraging the power of your network to build these relationships.
- Be a trusted advisor to exceptional talent, from before they realise they want to be a founder through to the close of their seed round and beyond: You will unlock the potential of the deeply ambitious by working closely with them as a trusted professional and company building advisor. This means accompanying them through the process of deciding they want to be a founder, developing their first idea, finding their co-founder, and reaching out to their first customers, right through to the moment they close their first round of external funding. You will leverage the power of Your global network to amplify your work.
- Drive investment decisions into individuals and the startups they build: You will be driving our investment decision-making. Together with your team, you will be evaluating which individuals we should invite onto the Programme. You will work on your ability to predict who will be successful over the long term.
- Build and manage a high-performing team of Talent Investors: You will be responsible for building and managing a high-performing, elite team of Talent Investors who are collectively motivated to unlock the potential of the world's most exceptional people through company creation.
Who You Are :
You are intellectually curious :
- Talent Investors have a deep and persistent desire to increase their knowledge of the world. They seek out the foundational ideas behind a concept or belief system.
- They often have multiple interests and hobbies, some of which may be quite obscure.
- They're constantly updating their knowledge and beliefs through self-directed learning.
You are a discerning judge of others :
- Talent Investors hold high expectations for themselves and expect the same of others. They are able to balance optimism and realism when they evaluate others. They are able to believe and see possibility in individuals where their potential may not be obvious to others.
- You understand and appreciate technology's potential for impact
- Talent Investors are fascinated by technology's potential for impact, mainly through early-stage company creation. Even if not a technologist by training, they will have developed an understanding of and appreciation for various technologies, likely through self-directed learning.
You are driven :
- Talent Investors are innately driven to achieve ambitious goals. They "run through walls" and find creative ways to achieve their desired outcomes.
- They are restless in their pursuit of excellence, and won't take no for an answer.
You are a network builder :
- Talent Investors enjoy building and immersing themselves within networks of exceptional people.
- They can build meaningful relationships with exceptional people; both at the peer level, and with individuals more senior to themselves. They enjoy making intra- and inter-network connections.
You are an exceptional people manager :
- Talent Investors at this level can manage and lead small, elite teams of talented people. They enjoy developing and enabling teams to achieve extraordinary outcomes but aren't afraid to get their hands dirty.
What's in it for Candidate :
- Be a part of the founding team
- Take lucrative CTC along with other stakes post funding