Head - Growth & Partnerships at Polymateria
Views:535 Applications:81 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:38
Polymateria - Senior Policy & Advocacy Manager (3-5 yrs)
Polymateria is a privately-owned British business whose mission is to address the global crisis of plastic pollution. It does this through its breakthrough, proprietary technology - called Biotransformation - which ensures that plastic can fully biodegrade if it enters the natural terrestrial environment.
Biotransformation has been developed in accordance with the most advanced Circular Economy design principles, which allow for the Biological (nature) and Technical (recycling) cycles to work together.
From their base at Imperial College London's Innovation Hub, Polymateria has grown quickly since being founded in 2015. Having spent its first years focused on R&D to develop the technology with the company's team of world-leading polymer scientists, chemists and biologists, Polymateria is now commercialising the technology across the world. In April 2020, the business closed its Series-A funding with investment from Planet First Partners and is currently closing out its Series B round to underpin its mission and growth.
To further accelerate its mission Polymateria open sourced its Intellectual Property to support creation of a new standard with the British Standards Institution. This standard is now being used & endorsed by multiple countries around the world, the largest being India where Prime Minister Modi's technical advisory Board, Niti Ayog, endorsed Polymateria's technology and the standard as a biodegradable alternative to single-use plastics being banned. Examples of other countries following a similar route are Philippines, Malaysia, Hungary and Georgia.
The company has formed strategic global commercial partnerships with the likes of Avient and Indorama Ventures Limited. In June 2021, Polymateria was selected as a World Economic Forum Tech Pioneer, one of a hundred companies globally set to shape the future of business and society.
More information on Polymateria can be found at www.polymateria.com
- Polymateria's Senior Policy & Advocacy Manager will work to shape the Indian public policy landscape for biodegradable plastic at a critical time.
- This newly created role will report into the Head of Growth & Partnerships, working closely with the company's leadership team, as well as across the Commercial and the Innovation teams to identify and cultivate opportunities.
- This key role will be responsible for executing and shaping Polymateria's policy & advocacy strategy with the Indian Government, its relevant agencies and third-party stakeholders. Following endorsement of the company's technology by the Niti Aayog commission on alternatives to plastics, the company has been seeing rapid growth in India. The role will also focus on engaging with key governmental and policy stakeholders to underpin the company's growth.
- This is a critical role within the business and will represent Polymateria externally with key stakeholders. They will work on technical and confidential matters integral to the scientific excellence Polymateria stands for. The Senior Policy & Advocacy Manager will have a broad understanding of the Indian policy landscape around plastics, packaging and circular economy. It is an opportunity for the right candidate to play a significant role in India's transition to a sustainable plastics future.
In-line with Polymateria's innovative approach, the role holder will have freedom to think creatively about policy campaigns and be excited about doing things differently.
Location: Delhi (remote) with regional travel as necessary
- Developing and executing Polymateria's policy, advocacy & regulatory strategy in India.
- Building influence with key government departments & their agencies (e.g. MoEFCC, CPCB, BIS, DCPC, CIPET) to develop an understanding of the technology and appreciation for how it can address the plastic pollution challenges in India.
- Working closely with Polymateria's commercial partners to align and drive agendas.
- Developing relationships with industry bodies, NGOs and other influential third parties.
- Utilizing Polymateria' best-in-class scientific test methods, rationale and evidence base, champion the role of standards in creating a credible pathway for biodegradation.
- Think creatively about designing and executing non-traditional policy campaigns.
- Be a leading expert on the Indian regulatory landscape and go-to source of expertise for policymakers.
- Creating high-quality and influential collateral - including written policy documents - to brief senior stakeholders including ministers and senior officials.
- 3-5 years of experience shaping Indian government policies on plastics, circular economy or related issues.
- A track record of building meaningful relationships with senior stakeholders in India to shape a regulatory landscape e.g. policymakers, standards bodies, trade associations, corporate partners, NGOs etc.
- Experience in a blue-chip organisation in a sector with a strategic interest in plastics, e.g. FMCG, Pharma, Retail or similar, with an awareness of the key drivers and trends of the polymer sector.
- Broad understanding of environment and sustainability agenda, including familiarity with plastics waste management policies.
- Previous experience of working with a technical product would be desirable.
Critical Competencies for Success
Will have built meaningful relationships with senior stakeholders. This person will have prior examples of when they have created new introductions and developed and fostered existing relationships, educating key influencers on a process, technology or issue. They will be able to show when they have won over new audiences.
In the context of a fast-evolving environment, this person will have identified opportunities to extend influence or develop commercial opportunities. They will be perceptive, future-oriented and will have an appreciation for trends and the big picture.
This person will be able to show how their activities translated into measurable results, including contributing to commercial returns or an organisation's goals. They will be motivated by success and have set themselves and others stretching goals against which progress will have been tracked.
Other Personal Characteristics
The ideal candidate will also be:
- A disruptor, unafraid to challenge the status quo
- Highly motivated by Polymateria's mission to tackle plastic pollution
- A skilled influencer, with the gravitas and credibility to be effective
- Resourceful, with a willingness to roll up one's sleeves and figure it out
- A proactive self-starter
- An interest in and an appreciation for the sciences
- Adaptable, able to work in a small business and operate without the support of a larger corporate
This job opening was posted long time back. It may not be active. Nor was it removed by the recruiter. Please use your discretion.