PhonePe - Contract Manager - Legal - LLB/LLM/CS (7-12 yrs)
Contract Manager - Legal
- PhonePe is the leader in UPI based payments in India. Our goal is to make digital payments so easy, safe and universally accepted that people never feel the need to carry cash or cards again.
- We believe India is at the cusp of a new mobile revolution, which will change the way we manage our money on the go. We see ourselves facilitating this change, through technology and dogged customer centricity.
The Role :
- To develop best in class contract management function which, while servicing the internal business and control stakeholders in contracts, legal documents, terms and conditions etc, is also able to insulate the business from all risks.
- Implement technology enabled tools and experience-based initiatives to make the contracting process efficient and effective.
Description of KRAs :
a) Contracts :
i. Standardization of templates to the extent possible while prescribing standard clauses, negotiable and non-negotiable ones basis risk categorization and type of contracts.
ii. Drafting improvement in terms of migrating existing contracting stds to best in class.
iii. Set up an efficient drafting and review process of contracts and other legal documents for various business lines including payments, technology, product specific like insurance, mf, coupons etc.
b) Commercial :
i. Develop commercial understanding of the business and each product line for risk assessment including what is mandatorily required under various regulations for financial services products like insurance and MF.
ii. Provide expert & strategic legal advice on various aspects of business to management on optimizing the contracting process, stamping, e-sign, repository access etc.
iii. Evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action as the business is large, has PAN India operations and offices, ability to anticipate issues and estimate risks, identify proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks.
c) Process :
i. Communications with relevant counter parties - external counsel for contract finalization.
ii. Systematize the complete contracting process, TAT expectations, repository and retrieval process
iii. Establish an auditable and robust process for renewals and monitoring of key requirements of contracts
iv. Deployment of technology-based solutions and tools to make the end to end contracting process efficient, effective and best in class as to quality of drafting and risk mitigation
v. Keep abreast of legislative change & maintain current knowledge of alterations in legislation to continue to improve contract versions.
vi. Ability to delegate work by category, key accounts or specialisation towards achieving optimisation and right use of resources.
d) Lead : Develop, motivate and lead a performance-oriented and engaged team.
Ideal Candidate :
- LLB/ LLM; (CS qualification will be an added advantage from regulatory and structure perspective)
- Minimum 7-10 years post-qualification experience. A right mix of law firm and in-house counsel experience in financial services / service sector.
- Have strong drafting and communication skills and leading a team to supervise in current assignment.
- Exposure to a variety of contracts Complex IT /software development, licensing, real estate to variety of vendor, supplier, employment, service and partner contracts - both revenue and expense line contracts.
- Overall good legal knowledge (corporate law, employment laws, business laws, data privacy practices, info sec stds, etc)
- Committed and ready to work under constraints/ pressure.
- Ready to travel with sense of urgency along with sales lead to close key agreements (occasionally this may be required).
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity, excellent judgement, analytical skills and good interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to learn, improve and challenge the status quo for the better - Good Negotiation skill and general commercial acumen.