Recruiter at Mphasis
Views:372 Applications:100 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:19
Mphasis - Head - Litigation - Employment & Compliance - LLB/LLM (15-25 yrs)
Head of Litigation - Employment & Compliance
The successful candidate is expected to independently and collaboratively brief, manage, strategize and instruct management and retained counsel across jurisdictions with respect to high stakes commercial litigation, employment and compliance matters and advise business functions on contractual rights and obligations of executed contracts, opine on compliance, labor and employment law matters as well as provide sound legal advice on a broad range of corporate law issues, drive internal projects and anchor company-wide initiatives.
Roles & Responsibilities :
- The position will directly report to the Executive Vice President & General Counsel.
- Lead and manage all claims and litigation matters
- Analyze, develop and deliver litigation and dispute resolution strategies on a variety of litigation matters in line with Company's business requirements to reduce risks; ensuring that services are timely, targeted and of the highest quality.
- Liaison between internal business personnel and external counsel for purposes of defending and/or prosecuting litigation including witness preparation and background investigations.
- Resolve disputes with other companies or individuals through negotiation or mediation with or without the involvement of outside counsel.
- Review and manage litigation budgets and external counsel expenditures, and supervising outside counsel in handling litigation.
- Coordinate litigation reporting and ensuring quality and consistency of reporting.
- Review and edit pleadings, briefs, presentations and other documents prepared for litigation matters, including reports for senior management, the audit committee and board.
- Track and advise senior management on claims and litigation developments, exposures, and strategies for minimizing adverse consequences from disputes.
- Monitor legislative developments and trends and, as a result, proactively shaping Company's litigation function and litigation governance.
- Enhancing the legal department's effectiveness through active participation in staff meetings and trainings, and maintaining positive interaction with corporate and business clients.
- Develop a keen understanding of the Company's business strategy and its business system.
- Experience with managing significant litigation budgets and driving efficiencies in external legal spend and relationships
- Proactively identifying risks and implementing mitigating actions.
- Comply with all company policies and standards
- Collaborate closely with other legal department colleagues and functional support groups in providing advice and counsel.
- Performing other duties and working on special projects as requested by the General Counsel.
Management Responsibilities :
- Directly manage one or more employees.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Carry out responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Assist in the preparation and presentation of materials to the Company's statutory and internal auditors.
- Prepare materials for presentation to the Company's Audit Committee
Must Have Qualifications / Experience :
1. Law Degree from a Premier Law School in India - NLS, Symbiosis, ILS, etc.
2. Post Graduate Degree from an Overseas University and Membership of the ICSI - Preferred
3. International exposure and in depth knowledge and hands on experience in working on complex, high stakes litigation under the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, the Code of Civil Procedure, the Companies Act and related / allied laws
4. Superior drafting skills
5. At least 15 Years of overall work experience out of which 8 - 10 years with Multi-Billion Dollar IT Companies and the rest with a top tier law firm in India or abroad
6. At least 10 years of general litigation experience either in house or with a law firm
7. Sound and up to date knowledge of laws & regulations governing the business operations
8. In-depth understanding of commercial terms, legal & contractual issues, business practices