Legal Assistant - Financial Services (4-8 yrs)
We are looking for a self motivated Legal Assistant to ensure smooth running of the office and effective case management. You will provide a broad spectrum of legal services under the supervision of an attorney.
A legal Assistant will be able to enhance attorney effectiveness by developing case information, evidence, and settlement options; tracking cases; supporting attorney's trial proceedings.
The Legal Assistant will provide support to the Legal team in a broad range of matters across multiple jurisdictions. Key areas of work will include:
- Managing the legal invoice system, including reviewing invoices received from external counsel, liaising with external counsel and internal billing department regarding payment of invoices and maintaining our account on the eBilling platform. This will be 60-70% of the role.
- Keeps cases organized by establishing and organizing files; monitoring calendars; meeting deadlines; documenting actions; inputting information into file database and case management software; confirming case status with attorney.
- Helps develop cases by maintaining contact with people involved in the case; scheduling depositions; preparing and forwarding summonses and subpoenas; drafting complaints; preparing and filing discovery requests; preparing responses to opposing counsel; generating status reports.
- Keeps clients informed by maintaining contact; communicating case progress. Maintains case costs by verifying outstanding balances with attorney, clients, and providers.
- Supports case preparation by preparing case summaries and materials for mediation conferences; preparing pleadings; monitoring and obtaining discovery responses; organizing materials for team case review.
- Enhances trial proceedings by organizing evidence; preparing exhibits; scheduling witnesses; ensuring that witnesses are ready when needed; taking courtroom notes.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Bachelor's degree in law, commerce, data analytics or a related subject.
- Who's expertise comes with Reporting Skills, Research Skills, Legal Administration Skills, Litigation, Client Relationships, Organization, Planning, Attention to Detail, Confidentiality, Dependability, Client Confidentiality
- Proven working experience as Legal Assistant or Legal Secretary
- Familiarity with law, legal procedures and protocols, and court system
- Satisfactory knowledge of day-to-day operations of a legal office