Lead - Environment Portfolio - NGO (8-15 yrs)
Environment Portfolio lead
Position: Fund Lead
Location: Remote (Either of Delhi, Mumbai, or Bangalore Preferred)
About the organization:
A leading non-profit venture philanthropy organization rooted in the belief that combining an entrepreneurial mindset, technological innovation, and collective action can drive substantial social change. The approach involves providing seed capital grants to incubate and accelerate innovations that address complex social issues in India. Beyond funding, they actively engage with our grantees to enhance their strategies, operations, and overall organizational sustainability.
About the Role:
We are seeking an exceptional Lead for our environmental philanthropy vertical to join the dynamic team. Working closely with the environmental initiatives team, you will play a pivotal role in managing a philanthropic fund, overseeing its strategy, execution, and portfolio priorities. This position presents a unique opportunity for someone who thrives in a fast-paced startup environment, possesses a knack for building and scaling organizations, and holds a genuine passion for driving positive impact in the sector.
- Overall Fund Strategy: Contribute to the development and expansion of the fund's investment thesis in response to the evolving landscape of environmental solutions. Continuously refine and sharpen the fund's investment hypothesis, focusing on key strategic areas within air quality, water security, waste management, and land rejuvenation.
- Fundraising & Donor Management: Lead fundraising endeavors and maintain donor relationships through regular communication, reporting, and engagement.
- Fund Management: Ensure the seamless operation of the fund, including planning, budgeting, risk management, monitoring and evaluation, grantee onboarding, fund reporting, and the fund calendar. Manage a portfolio of investments by sourcing opportunities, conducting due diligence, and assessing performance. Facilitate regular meetings with the Investing Committee (IC) and oversee fund communications.
- Programmatic Interventions: Design and support the execution of special programs and initiatives, such as sector-specific challenges, startup pledges, and collaborative efforts with other verticals within the organization.
- Support Environment Portfolio: Provide strategic and operational support to grantee organizations. Offer guidance in areas such as commercial validation, go-to-market strategy, distribution channel identification, outcome measurement, fundraising planning, and more.
- Team Management: Co-lead a team of 2-3 members, including full-time staff and fellows. Strategically leverage onboarding volunteers and experts to achieve fund goals.
The Ideal Candidate:
You're an ideal candidate if you possess:
- 8-15 years of experience in investing, product management, or strategy, preferably in challenging, high-growth, or entrepreneurial settings.
- Strong problem-solving, project management, organizational, and operational skills.
- Proven ability to raise funds and manage donor relationships effectively.
- The capability to foster community and rally individuals around common goals.
- Excellent communication skills, encompassing writing and presentation abilities.
- A talent for building robust relationships and managing stakeholders internally and externally.
- The capacity to work independently and proactively in a small organizational setting, valuing collaboration, teamwork, and resourcefulness.
- Bonus: Prior experience in venture capital, entrepreneurship, sustainability, or accelerators.