JP Morgan Chase - Legal Counsel (3-5 yrs)
JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. ("JPMorgan") is seeking to hire Legal Counsel to join its Securities Services Legal Practice Group to advise and support J.P. Morgan's Securities Services business globally.
The Securities Services business operates across all regions worldwide and its principal activities include providing global custodial services, fund administrative services, securities lending programs, depositary services for regulated funds and collateral management services for mutual and pension funds, managed investment schemes, multi-national corporations, banks and non-bank financial institutions, and government bodies worldwide. In connection with its global custodial offering, Securities Services maintains a network of subcustodians in 100+ markets.
Location and Reporting Line
The position is in Mumbai, at J.P. Morgan's Corporate Centre ("MCC"), reporting to the team lead for the Securities Services Legal team in the MCC ("Securities Services MCC Team").
Role and Responsibilities
The Securities Services MCC Team will be formed as an integral part of the Securities Services Legal Practice Group, working closely and interacting with Practice Group lawyers primarily located in Sydney, Hong Kong, London and Europe.
As a member of the Securities Services MCC Team, the role will primarily comprise of the following:
- supporting global and regional Securities Services initiatives and projects, e.g., remediating legacy contracts, developing form agreements, and designing and implementing know-hows and best practices;
- assisting Securities Services Legal Practice Group colleagues located offshore in connection with various contract documentation and negotiation;
- working with Securities Services' subcustodian n etwork management to handle various legal tasks, e.g., (i) reviewing and revising existing subcustody documentation to be consistent with firm, regulatory, and industry standards, (ii) reviewing local market rules/opinions applicable to subcustodians, and (iii) advising on subcustodian agreements;
- drafting, and managing negotiation of, a variety of Securities Services contracts (e.g., global custody agreements, fund accounting & related services agreements, subcustodian agreements, securities lending agreements, and collateral management services agreements);
- assisting with responses to clients' Request-For-Proposals; and
- working collaboratively with internal stakeholders across functions located offshore.
- Qualified in India or other common law jurisdiction with at least 3 to 5 years legal experience (either as in-house counsel in the financial services industry or as a lawyer in a top tier law firm)
- Fluent English speaker
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, together with the ability to communicate effectively with colleagues located offshore on all levels
- Strong drafting, negotiation and legal analytical skills
- Ability to prioritise and manage workflow in an active and multi-jurisdictional transactional environment
- Work collaboratively with internal stakeholders across Front Office, Operational, Risk and Compliance functions located offshore
- Ability to timely and appropriately identify and escalate issues
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize and respond to business needs and goals
- Ability to adapt and apply legal skills in new businesses and subjects in which lawyer may not have expertise, and willingness to develop and excel beyond his/ her comfort zone
- CONFLICTS OF INTEREST:
Qualifications: All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.
- JD or educational equivalent required. Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment.
JPMorgan Chase & Co., one of the oldest financial institutions, offers innovative financial solutions to millions of consumers, small businesses and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under the J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Our history spans over 200 years and today we are a leader in investment banking, consumer and small business banking, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
The link provided below will redirect you to a website. Please apply there as well.