Senior HR at Janaagraha Centre for Citizenship and Democracy
Views:5291 Applications:118 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:16
Janaagraha - Research Associate (5-8 yrs)
Janaagraha Centre for Citizenship and Democracy (Janaagraha) is a Bangalore based not for profit having the mission of transforming quality of life in India's cities and towns. It defines quality of life as comprising quality of infrastructure and services and quality of citizenship. Janaagraha, along with its sister organisation India Urban Space foundation operates ten programs all of which are based on a robust City-Systems framework. To achieve its mission, Janaagraha works with both citizens and governments in advocating policy, creating platforms for citizen engagement and forging partnerships to attain scale. Over its ten year existence, Janaagraha has built a proven track-record in systemic change in city-systems and in catalysing citizen engagement.
Janaagraha was founded by Swati and Ramesh Ramanathan and is led by a management team comprising engineers, management graduates, public policy professionals, urban planners and designers, social science researchers and a military veteran driven by a passion for transformative change. Its staff strength is in excess of eighty and expected to cross one hundred this year. Janaagraha is advised by a stellar Advisory Board comprising leaders across business, social sector and community engagement, management consulting and government.
About Applied Research:
The Janaagraha Applied Research Programme (J-ARP) is a core unit of Janaagraha's Advocacy, Research, and Capacity Building Cluster (ARC). J-ARP engages in action-oriented research activities that further Janaagraha's advocacy, online platform, and grassroots objectives. Beyond this key support and advisory role, J-ARP also leads the Citizenship Index Initiative (CI) in partnership with Brown University, USA, and is a key stakeholder in the Explaining Electoral Change in Urban and Rural India Network (EECURI). J-ARP also seeks to further connections and applied research initiatives with various urban research stakeholders, to promote awareness of the need for increased and sustained urban research in India, particularly in the areas of governance, citizenship, and urban infrastructure and service provision.
Janaagraha is looking to onboard a Senior Associates for its Applied Research Program, or J-ARP. The position will be based in Bangalore.
As a Senior Associate, your role would comprise the following:
- Leading the design of qualitative and quantitative research frameworks to support all programs at Janaagraha as well as research-led initiatives
- Leading field-based work
- Analysing the data arising from Janaagraha programs and research-led initiatives
- Leading the design of impact evaluations for (grass-roots) programs
- Formatting and presenting data for meetings with various key stake-holders as well as conferences
- Assisting in initiating and managing relationships with partners
- Assisting and designing capacity training programs
Qualifications and Experience:
- Fluent in English (additional fluency in one or more of: Kannada, Hindi, and Urdu preferred)
- Completing or completed a graduate degree program in the social sciences (psychology, political science, international relations, sociology, anthropology, economics, history, geography) or public policy, or Bachelors in the same fields with at least 6 years working experience.
- In-depth knowledge in quantitative social science methods (critical skill)
- In-depth knowledge of monitoring and evaluation processes such as randomized control trials (RCTs). (critical skill)
- In-depth experience with social science program such as: STATA, SPSS, R language, etc. (critical skill)
- Experience undertaking research with human subjects preferred
- Experience with designing and/or implementing survey-based research (including monitoring and evaluation) preferred
- Experience writing academic literature and policy literature (e.g. for peer-reviewed journals, policy papers, media briefs) preferred
- Excellent project and team management and organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail to methodically plan, implement, and monitor activities of the highest quality in accordance with deadlines.
- Highly self-motivated and able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks/projects efficiently in a fast paced environment.
- Works collaboratively with partners to achieve desired results despite conflicting demands or priorities.
- Prioritizes teamwork and communication with colleagues and superiors.
What we look for in our Associates:
- High levels of self-motivation, passion and perseverance required for social change at a systemic level
- Attention to detail, high personal standards of performance
- Willingness to extend oneself to accomplish work objectives, simultaneously pursuing excellence
- Positive attitude, flexibility and openness to adapt to organisational ideas, approaches and a dynamic work environment
- Ability to learn quickly on the job, including aspects such as community outreach and working with multi-disciplinary teams
- Excellent communication skills- written and verbal and interpersonal, team skills.
What Janaagraha offers:
At Janaagraha, you will be part of a multi-disciplinary team of professionals and passionate citizens who apply cutting-edge technologies and practices aimed at social change in India's cities. Janaagraha offers a dynamic, driven and vibrant work environment for young professionals who are passionate about investing their time, skill sets and energy to transform quality of life in India's cities. At work, you will be exposed to a unique combination of policy, practice and platforms and will have abundant opportunities to learn and apply professional skills to social challenges.
More about Janaagraha :
Janaagraha's City-Systems framework is a recognition of the fact that challenges faced by our cities and city-residents- water, housing, roads, traffic and transport, power, pollution, crime etc. - are symptoms of deep-rooted malaise in governance and management of our cities.
- We need to fix our
City-Systems to fix our cities:
- The City-Systems framework envisages transformative change in laws, policies, institutional structures and process across its four parts- Urban Planning and Design, Urban Capacities and Resources, Empowered and Legitimate Political Representation and Transparency, Accountability and Participation.
- Some of Janaagraha's accomplishments at a city-systems level include
- Catalysing the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM), largest urban focussed scheme in India.
- Inclusion of the Public Disclosure Law and Community Participation Law as mandatory reform conditions under the JNNURM.
Significant contributions to:
- Report of the Second Administrative Reforms Commission- section on Urban Local Bodies
- Report of the High Powered Expert Committee on Financing Urban Infrastructure
- Bombay First Report- Urban Governance section
This job opening was posted long time back. It may not be active. Nor was it removed by the recruiter. Please use your discretion.