HSBC - Business & Data Analyst - Equities COO Function - Markets Front Office (4-6 yrs)
Business: Markets Role
Role Title: Business and Data Analyst, Equities COO Function - Markets Front Office, Bangalore
The role holder will be responsible for supporting the Equities COO Office with the asset class strategic initiatives in the three main businesses: Prime, Derivatives and Cash.
The first aspect is around data to help senior management to identify opportunities: the role order will be responsible for collecting, arranging and presenting data to senior management.
The second aspect is around process: identify process which can be improved and propose solutions.
The third aspect is automation to improve efficiency.
Key activities and decision making areas
Typical KPIs and Targets
Impact on the Business:
- Data extraction from various sources to SQL databases through python programs and write queries to read, write and update the database
- Collaborate with stakeholders to develop automated models to enrich the data by developing linkages between the different data sets on the database
- Using this database to develop various dashboards for senior management dashboards in Tableau
- Creating workflow models through JIRA where current manual processes can be automated and enables management to track the status of each task
- Building light web based applications in Flask, Django Angular or React to create custom solutions for senior management in their respective business functions
- Prepare reports for senior management adhoc or pre-defined
- Reduction in manual intervention on existing reporting processes
- Automation of existing reports and reduction in manual intervention
- Develop dashboards for senior management and tracking usage and requirements to understand future pipeline of dashboards
- Reduction in email traffic and improve metrics on tracking status of various tasks
- Publishing accurate and timely management information packs
Customers / Stakeholders:
- Equities Business Management, COO Community, Desk Heads and other key Front Office resources Globally
- Equities Global support functions including Operations, Compliance, Finance and Product Control, and Technology
- Head of Markets, Bangalore
- Feedback from Key Markets stakeholders
- Effective communication networks used to maintain positive relationships and gather momentum on items as necessary
- Ability to drive change with COO Community & Business Managers
Leadership & Teamwork:
- Responsible for ensuring seamless communication and teamwork between COO Function resources in Onshore locations and counterpart resources in Bangalore
- Builds strong relationships with counterpart resources in Onshore locations
- Must be able to take own initiative, be flexible and a self-starter
- Feedback from Key Markets stakeholders
- Ensure stakeholder satisfaction through timely delivery of quality work
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Lead the development, implementation and maintenance of management information, analysis and reporting framework that supports and informs timely and effective business management and decision making at all levels
- Establish and maintain a robust and efficient control environment across the Markets Management Office. together with early identification and effective resolution or escalation of issues that arise
- Proactively identify and mitigate control gaps
- Process improvement initiatives
Major Challenges (The challenges inherent in the role that require a continual test of the role holders abilities)
- Understand business requirement and focus on priorities
- Being able to navigate with complex data
- A rapidly changing regulatory environment with extensive impacts on the Markets businesses
- Focus on business continuity delivery
- Being persuasive to push for change (process, new MI )
Role Context (The environment and operating conditions of the role including the extent of guidance and authority)
Provide support for Management Information and workflow tasks:
- Build a strong knowledge around a complex data architecture
- Produce MI for senior management through diverse streams: Tableau dashboards, power point
- Propose and implement change in workflows to gain efficiency.
- Assist Business Management on specific requirements
- Focuses on driving results, even under pressure, through personal drive and perseverance and by encouraging collaboration, creating clarity and building stakeholder commitment
- Develops the infrastructure and capabilities needed to enable operational effectiveness and the delivery of the desired results and ensures that decision making is delegated to the most appropriate people
Management of Risk (Operational Risk / FIM requirements))
- Is aware of the Operational Risk scenario associated with the role and acts in a manner that takes account of operational risk considerations.
Observation of Internal Controls (Compliance Policy / FIM requirements)
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- Understands, follows and demonstrates compliance with all relevant internal and external rules, regulations and procedures that apply to the conduct of the business in which the jobholder is involved, specifically Internal Controls and any Compliance policy including, inter alia, the Group Compliance policy.
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications (For the role not the role holder. Minimum requirements of the role.)
- Python, VBA, Database (type SQL and/or Mongodb) experience
- Experience in workflow tools such as Jira
- Analytical Skills - proven interpretation and utilisation of management information
- Ability to distill complex and varied data into information; good process analysis and problem solving skills
- Excellent written, verbal & presentation communication skills
- Exp 4 to 6 years in the markets or investment banking industry will be preferred.
- Advanced level of MS Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Good to have: experience in web technologies (Flask, Django)