Head - Legal Counsel - Paper Packaging Industry (7-15 yrs)
We are hiring for the position of Legal and Secretarial Head for the client (a paper packaging company) based out of Mumbai.
The responsibility would include overall charge of the legal affairs of the business including :
- Drafting, vetting and finalization of various agreements / contracts. As a business we largely sign NDAs, customer and vendor contracts. These include contracts with local Indian businesses, MNCs as well as global companies based out of India.
- Overseeing documents related to all real estate assets of the company and ensuring all is in order. This includes documents related to land, leased premises, factory structures etc. on/in which the plants and corporate offices operate. Additionally, leading the legal function for any future real estate transaction the company may look to enter into.
- Overseeing all the IP of the company including any trademarks, copyright etc.
- Work with HR to ensure compliance to various Employment and Labor law matters and help deal with any matters that may come up pertaining to the same including new codes/act such as the wage code, social security code, etc.
- Litigation if any (so far company has minimal litigation largely for recovery/section 138 cases filed by the company for defaulters)
- In close coordination with the IT team, setting up a system and document management platform for organizing the legal documents of the company and ensuring the documents are easily tracked and also available in an electronic format at a single source.
- The company will be actively looking at possible inorganic growth opportunities going forward. As the legal head the individual will be responsible for working with management on such transactions overseeing any diligence and documentation (SPA, SHA, etc) and being a key member of the M&A task force. Prior experience with M&A therefore an added advantage.
- Vetting any policies, rules, guidelines of the company from a legal perspective.
- Any other matters including if any related to matters of court, coordinating with external counsel/advisors, etc.
- While the company is not a listed entity, we need to ensure strict compliance to secretarial and company law matters. The individual would be responsible to ensure overall adherence to the same. The company has a strong Board of Directors and reputed private equity investors. The responsibility would include:
- Setting up standards, processes and systems for managing compliance to make an organization fully compliant, ensure good corporate governance practice and implement various initiatives suggested by the Board.
- Overall compliance to company law matters and rules
- Working with CFO's office for the Preparation of Board agenda, notes, reports, presentations and minutes for Board and Committee meetings. Facilitating to conduct meeting of Board, Committees and management and obtain Board and committee approvals for business decisions. Maintaining relevant registers and making necessary filings.
- Advice to management on regulatory compliance, corporate affairs, statutory disclosures, legal matters, strategic decision and keeping tab of the changes in regulatory frameworks and proactively advice on the same.
- Ensure timely filing of forms, returns and documents with Registrar of Companies