GlaxoSmithKline - Manager/Senior Manager - Legal - LLB (7-9 yrs)
Candidates from the Drugs & Cosmetics industry preferred.
Proposed Job Title : Manager/Senior Manager - Legal
Business Unit - Legal
Job Purpose :
- Legal Business Partnering for OTC/OHC products portfolio comprising Cosmetics, Drugs, Medical Devices, Ayurvedic Products for India and other markets in the Indian Sub-Continent.
Key Responsibilities/Describe the key deliverables to be achieved by the post holder and the ongoing responsibilities of the role :
Brand / Product Support:
- Provide legal advice and guidance on issues pertaining to OTC/OHC products - integrating legal knowledge with sound business understanding and collaborating with other stakeholders such as Commercial, Brand, Expert Marketing, Regulatory, R & D and Medical Affairs;
- Support the Brand teams in development and defense of competitively differentiated and scientifically substantiated product claims;
- Support the innovation pipeline and NPD for OTC/OHC;
- Review product labels, promotional material and other commercial and regulatory documents to ensure compliance with law, advise on risks and appropriate strategy to manage risks and maximize business benefit.
Business Partnering :
- Provide legal support to the Supply Chain for contract manufacturing operations of Company, by providing well researched legal advice and guidance for their initiatives to ensure achievement of business targets, provide legal guidance on aspects of Labour law, employment, contract labour, environment, packaging, commercial contracts, land and revenue matters, criminal matters etc.;
- Ensure Compliance of laws and regulatory requirements and deal with legal matters affecting the manufacturing sites, suppliers, vendors, transporters and warehouses.
Litigation and Contract Support :
- Manage litigation and regulatory issues pertaining to products in all courts and forums to protect company's interest, products, assets and reputation and represent the company before regulatory authorities and other external stakeholders;
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts and other legal documents such as endorsement agreements, agreements with media and execution agencies, service agreements, supply contracts with 2P and 3P business partners, procurement contracts with suppliers of raw material and packaging material, services agreements, leases and others;
- Provide support for brand protection and IPR issues with focus on Bangladesh
Advisory Support :
- Review and interpret pending or new legislation or regulatory rules impacting the products to ensure compliance or strategy changes to prevent risk, maximize benefit to the Company and achieve competitive advantage;
- Rollout, implementation and providing advisory & training services for internal clients in relation to laws impacting the products, company's policies and Standard Operating Procedures in designated areas;
- Collaborate with the attorneys supporting other business areas to achieve the vision and mission of the Legal function.
Knowledge/Education Required - Bachelor of Law degree from reputed Indian University / Institution.
Preferred Level of Education :
- Bachelor of Law degree from reputed Indian University / Institution. CS qualification would be advantageous.
Area of Specialization
Good knowledge of laws touching upon businesses and manufacturing operations such as Factories Act, Drugs and Cosmetics, Legal Metrology, Environment, Labour and Industrial Relations, Packaging, contracts; and all other civil and criminal laws & procedures as relevant to FMCG (pharmaceuticals) industry
Minimum Level of Job-Related Experience Required :
- 7+ years of relevant and varied post qualification experience in the Legal function of multinational company / reputed domestic enterprise in the pharmaceutical industry.
Why is this level of experience required?
- To provide legal support to specialized and scientifically designed product portfolio which is subject to strict and dynamic regulatory regime, manage risks and guide the business to operate as per law, requiring the candidate to have in depth knowledge of applicable laws.
List below any licenses, certificates, registrations, or any relevant job skill or abilities not covered in Educational Background or Job-Related Experience sections above that are required for the job.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of Laws - Drugs and Cosmetics Act and Rules, NPPA with specific experience of handling issues related to price control ; laws related to Consumers, Advertisements, Competition; Legal Metrology; Contracts; and all other civil and criminal laws & procedures as relevant to a Pharmaceutical industry
- Thorough understanding of court procedures and practices preferably with experience of practice in the Indian courts
- Strong legal and business acumen to deliver pragmatic and compliant solutions.
- Ability to function independently and manage numerous matters with competing priorities effectively.
- Ability to confidently interact with stakeholders and exercise persuasion and influence.
- Good interpersonal, negotiating and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication skills with good command over written and spoken English and Hindi and technologically savvy. Knowledge of other languages will be an added advantage.
- High integrity standards and strong work ethics. Is able to embrace and effectively manage diversity and work across boundaries.
- Experience of operating in a multinational company
- Exposure to other markets in the Indian sub-continent and Asia will be preferred
Knowledge & Application:
- The strong knowledge of relevant laws will be used on a daily basis to provide the advice needed to ensure compliance and manage risks for the brands.
- For example, the dynamic and rapidly evolving regulations governing drugs and cosmetics would require upto date knowledge to help anticipate risks, ensure compliance and business continuity.
- Please indicate which of the following levels are most appropriate to the role;
Problem Solving & Innovation :
Good problem-solving skills are required for the role. Often times the law may not be very clear to address a given situation and requires interpretation, good judgement and risk based innovative thinking to provide business with the desired solution.
The role requires regular interaction with colleagues in various functions as well as external stakeholders such as external counsel and regulatory authorities. The candidate must have good communication skills and the ability to persuade and influence both internal and external stakeholders.
Multi-Cultural Requirements :
The role will primarily support India and Sri Lanka. Support will also be required on need basis to other countries in the ISC regions such as Bangladesh for brand protection. Exposure to working with other markets will be preferred.
The role has impact on compliant and timely delivery of legal solutions for the business. The role also involves business impacting and time sensitive engagements with external stakeholders such as external lawyers, courts and regulatory authorities.