Human Resources - Talent Acquisition at Franklin Templeton
Views:4008 Applications:455 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:149
Franklin Templeton - Associate - Quantitative Research (1-4 yrs)
The Quantitative Research Associate in IQRG will be responsible for:
- With guidance from Head of Quantitative Research, conduct rigorous quantitative research to evaluate current approaches for alpha generation, stock selection, portfolio construction/management, portfolio implementation, and risk management.
- Developing code which illuminates drivers of returns/risks in investment universes and utilizing techniques to optimize portfolio construction.
- Developing code for back testing quantitative investment strategies.
- Developing the toolkit used to easily perform the above functions.
- Communicating insights and analysis results to key stakeholders.
- Keeping abreast of industry and academic research and identify new research ideas.
- Formulate a plan to break down a high level directive or a project in to its constituent parts. Be able to use the scientific method to articulate an analysis plan.
- Collect, filter, and verify data required for research; for example, financial statement data, web-scraped data, benchmark & portfolio weights, etc.
- Write code in MATLAB, Python, or R to analyze and extract insights from data that together can form a coherent story about why an investment decision, action, or policy is optimal / sub-optimal
- Interpret and analyze results critically, considering all possible reasons for why the conclusions of the analysis may be flawed or incorrect (biases in data, incorrect assumptions, mishandling of data, treatment of outliers and missing data, etc.)
- Communicate the results or insights extracted from an analysis project as well as be able to defend why the analysis approach/results make sense and what the associated tradeoffs are.
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's or Master's degree (preferred) in Finance or quantitative discipline like Statistics, Applied Math, Computer Science, or Engineering.
- Out of the box thinker with proven track record of exceptional performance & relevant work experience graduating from other institutions will also be considered.
- Ideal candidate has 1-3 years of experience in a quantitative role with a financial institution
- Understanding of the investment process and quantitative disciplines in portfolio management. - Strong understanding of equity markets, including drivers of return, risk control, and portfolio construction techniques desirable.
- Beginner understanding of object-oriented programming and intermediate programming proficiency in Python, R or MATLAB, and SQL are essential.
- Familiarity with modern portfolio theory a plus.
- Experience with machine learning, advanced statistics and hypothesis testing a plus - Familiarity with web-scraping, data wrangling and munging methods is a plus.
- Experience with data engineering tools such as Hadoop, Spark, Zeppelin a plus.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS - CFA desirable although not required
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent quantitative skills, as evidenced by formal training in Applied Math, Computer Science, Engineering or Statistics, and experience in utilizing those skills in a research environment.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct high quality empirical research
- Foundational understanding of data available in the equity segment of the investment management industry, ability to ferret out relevant data, and ability to construct databases that are useful for validating research results.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal. The successful candidate must have the confidence and credibility to persuasively interact with colleagues.
- Ability to work independently or as a part of a team
- Well organized and self-motivated
- Strong intellectual curiosity and attentiveness to details
- Creativity, enthusiasm, and the ability to excel in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Resourcefulness and ability to think out of the box for enhancing research process, generating ideas, and working on client-initiated projects.
- Time management skills and ability to perform under pressure
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS - Minimal Travel
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being
performed by incumbents. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required by all incumbents. Incumbents may perform other duties as assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Management retains the right to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.