Equity Research Analyst (5-10 yrs)
(Briefly describe the general purpose of the position or its significance from the organization's point of view and how it contributes to the overall mission/objective of the organization).
Job Purpose: The purpose is to contribute to the investment decision making process of listed equities through fundamental investment analysis of sectors and stocks. As a Research Analyst; my responsibilities include tracking of various sectors (Cement, Oil & Gas, Metals, Agrochem and Chemicals, BFSI, Consumer (staples and durables), Technology, Pharma
This would consist of generating Investment Idea of stock based on fundamental analysis and meeting management; updating valuation models to account for sector trends and making result notes, news updates on Sectors/stocks.
2. PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
(List the accountabilities/duties associated with the job and the major activities associated with each accountability.
When accountabilities are complete, try if possible to estimate the relative % of time spent on these accountabilities.)
Accountabilities Major Activities % of Time
Tracking sector - 30%
- Keep update of sector trends and macro numbers impacting sectors
- Update of output volumes and pricing of commodities
- Conduct primary and secondary research on the sector and trends
- Make recommendations for the funds, support the PMs in deciding sector stance
- Follow the steps laid out in the AMC's investment process
- Making Investment notes, update notes, Quarterly Result Notes and Annual report analysis of companies.
- Analyze results of companies and come out with report
- Analyze Annual report and update on key observation and trend during the year
- Also prepare sector presentations on semi-annual basis for review
Updating Valuation Models to incorporate trends and result performance
- Prepare and Make changes in Models to incorporate Macro variables and company specific growth targets and impact of macro shocks
- Speak to management to get an update of ongoing Industry changes
3. MAJOR CHALLENGES
(Describe the major challenges you face on an on-going basis in carrying out your job).
- No challenge on an ongoing basis
(Mention the key decisions taken by job holder at his end and the decisions for which the job holder goes to superior with options and recommendations or seek approval).
- Decisions made by job holder
- Shortlisting of Stock Ideas in my sector
- Changes in Valuation model incorporating growth and company specific changes
- Analysis of results and annual report
- Recommendations to or approval by superior
- Inputs for Valuation target changes
- Final selection of Stock Ideas
- Review of every stock investment note and presentations
(Describe the job roles that you interact with inside or outside the company to enable you to meet your accountabilities and the key expectations from these interactions. Also mention purpose).
- Roles you need to interact with inside the organization to enable success in your day to day work
- Head of Department - for valuation changes and keep him informed on Sector trends, evaluation and review of investment ideas, research notes and inputs on work done
- Team - understanding and development of common practices for research, tracking and analysis
- Roles you need to interact with outside the organization to enable success in your day to day work
- Company managements - for company updates and outlook
- Sell side Analysts - for information on companies and data inputs
(List the significant numerical data which will reflect the scope and scale of activities concerning this job).
(These should be quantifiable numerical amounts like annual budgets, project costs, annual revenue, purchase value, no of transactions etc.).
- Annual Turnover Target/ Man Hours Target
- Operating Budget: - N/A
(Indication of some of the significant volumes associated with the job like number in team/ staff handled etc.)
- Geographies: -N/A
7. SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
(State the minimum acceptable proficiency for this job which best indicates the education and/or experience requirements of this job and not the incumbent).
- MBA - Finance preferable or CA/CFA
Functional Skills & Behavioral Skills
- Financial, valuation and business analysis
- Communication and presentations skills
- Usage of Bloomberg and MS Office
- Knowledge of the equity markets, sectors, equity research process and valuation methodologies
- Analytical and quantitative skills
- Good communication skills
- Knowledge of Bloomberg
Relevant and total years of Experience
- 7+ years of Buy Side research experience