Emcure - Director - Public Relations & Corporate Communications (15-20 yrs)
Position Director - PR & Corporate Communications
Company Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Location : Pune, Maharashtra, India
Reporting Relationship - CEO & MD
Team Size - Yet to be developed
About Emcure Pharmaceuticals:
- Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd. is a fast growing fully integrated Indian pharmaceutical company with global presence engaged in developing, manufacturing and marketing a broad range of pharmaceutical products globally. Our core strength lies in developing and manufacturing differentiated pharmaceutical products in-house, which we commercialize through our marketing infrastructure across geographies and relationships with multi-national pharmaceutical companies.
- Emcure is ranked 12th largest pharmaceutical company (Source: AIOCD Jan MAT 2017) in India in terms of market share based on the domestic sales of pharmaceutical products. Emcure believes that their competitive advantage in the domestic market lies in their established presence in all major therapeutic areas including blood related, cardiology, pain and analgesics, HIV, gynaecology, nephrology, anti-infective, and vitamins, minerals and nutrients products. We have also recently entered the oncology, diabetes & neuroscience therapeutic areas.
- Emcure has a well-diversified income base thanks to our business in the international markets. Emcure products are currently shipped to over 70 countries. It has subsidiaries in Dubai, Brazil, South Africa, Singapore, Australia, Turkey, Peru and Nigeria and rep offices in Russia, Myanmar, Vietnam, Ghana, Kazakhstan and Morocco and established offices in US, UK and Canada. Emcure is working towards vast expansion in European Markets as well.
- Emcure's focus our research and development efforts on developing a portfolio of differentiated products across several platforms, including chiral molecules and biosimilars, and novel drug delivery systems. They have a portfolio of 10 + chiral molecules, eight of which we launched for the first time in India. We also have capabilities to develop complex products, including difficult iron preparations, oncology drugs and controlled release products. Our portfolio of in-house manufactured five commercialized biosimilars including TNK-tPA, which we launched for the first time in India, and our brand Vintor is ranked no. 1 in erythropoietin market.
- As per the IMS Health India, TSA for March 2016, Emcure is ranked 1st in Gynaecologicals, 1st in Blood related, 2nd in Oncology, 2nd in HIV, 6th in Hepatoprotectives, 10th in Cardiac, 11th in Anti-malarials and 15th in Anti-infectives therapy areas Strategy
- Emcure Pharmaceuticals is focused on increasing the momentum in the generics business in its key markets through organic and inorganic growth routes. Growth is well spread across geographies with focus on developed and emerging markets. It is the company's constant endeavor to provide a wide basket of generic and innovator products, leveraging the unique Hybrid Business Model through its subsidiaries and Joint Ventures.
- Emcure views its R&D capabilities as a vital component of its business strategy that will provide a sustainable, long-term competitive advantage.
The company has a pool of over 480 R&D scientists engaged in path-breaking research
>300 patent filings incl. 20 PCT applications, 100+ patents granted
The Company's business philosophy based on delivering value to its stakeholders constantly inspires its people to innovate, achieve excellence and set new global benchmarks. Driven by the passion of it's over 10,000 plus strong multicultural work force comprising of more than 50 nationalities, Emcure continues to aggressively pursue its mission of 'Enriching lives globally, with quality and affordable pharmaceuticals'.
About the role:
This is a newly created position where the individual will be responsible for the development and delivery of a proactive communications strategy and program to ensure that Emcure builds and maintains a positive, distinctive image and reputation - which reflects the strategic intent, vision and values of the Corporation - among key external and internal stakeholders in India.
The incumbent's role will include the following:
Planning and Strategy:
- Support the development and manage the implementation of a proactive communications program for key internal and external audiences, to help achieve corporate and business objectives in the country.
- Set the framework for key messaging for Emcure India and work with each business unit/functions, ensuring alignment across the board in India and within
- Constantly assess and improve communications strategy, processes and systems
- Establishing methodology and benchmarking systems where appropriate - to create greater discipline and consistency in global practices in line with Emcure best practice.
Corporate Level Support
- Provide counsel and support to the Managing Director and other senior leaders (Leadership Team) on relevant communications issues, offering strategic and efficient solutions.
- Evaluate and report to the Leadership Team on the consequences and achievements of the communications program and projects, judging where aspects require special focus by Leadership Team/ senior managers due to their strategic significance to the Corporation.
- Support wherever appropriate, scripts and presentation material for the Leadership Team, tailored for delivery to a wide range of internal Emcure and external audiences in India, taking account of cultural, commercial and other sensitivities.
- Define a strategy for a proactive corporate media relations program in India and, where appropriate, in business sectors, assessing the need for a media training program for the Leadership team to ensure they deliver key strategic messages internally and externally at every opportunity.
- Produce internal briefing documents on key topics and sensitive issues for use in media relations or a more general communications arena, including FAQs.
- Act as the first point of contact between external audiences and the corporation, on occasions dealing diplomatically with highly sensitive issues where both first impressions and accuracy are crucial and where fast judgment is demanded on fielding further information and supplying spokespeople.
- Directly advise the Leadership Teams on all communication with the media in opportunistic circumstances applying expert judgment to highlight likely media approach and how to exert most influence to achieve a positive outcome.
- Control the protection and disclosure of price-sensitive information, sometimes confidential, with the potential to influence share price, impact on business deals or affect company liability. Judge when the Legal function needs to be involved in issues.
Crisis Communications :
- Manages and pre-empts crisis; prepares all relevant stakeholders with official statements, FAQs and other communications during a crisis situation
- Support the crisis team, together with the local EHS managers, to deliver the optimum response of the Emcure businesses in India in cases of crisis, to preserve our reputation as credible, responsible and honest, in line with Corporate requirements.
- Support in Crisis Communications training for site personnel and spokespeople
- Identify and extract stories and information from within the Corporation to be tailored for positive internal and external audience use.
- Maintain an overview on business developments and challenges through directing the frequent exposure and proximity of the Communications team to key aspects of the Business.
- Develop a proactive Internal communications strategy that will support the business objectives of Emcure India focusing on delivering optimal business results and collaboration across BUs and functions
- Devise internal communications tools that will support greater clarity and simplification of messaging including audio-visual tools and other print and multi-media approaches
- Liaise and build relationships with a range of stakeholders, e.g. suppliers, media, community and industry stakeholder
- Develop a proactive PR plan for the launch of the India Experience Center including targeted and proactive outreach to key stakeholders and devise creative use for the Experience Center to create greater awareness while building the Emcure profile in India.
- Manage the successful delivery of key corporate events
Professional Experience :
The ideal candidate should bring approximately 15 + years of proven experience as a Lead for Public Relations & Corporate Communications similar leadership role in for a mid-size or large conglomerate. Understanding of Pharmaceutical & Consumer Goods industry will be an added advantage.
The candidate should amply demonstrate the following skills:
- Exposure to pre & Post IPO
- Outstanding attention to detail, understanding of technology and ability to communicate complex topics effectively;
- Strong judgment and the ability to respond quickly, yet thoughtfully to urgent PR matters often in narrow time frames and unknown territories;
- A knack for diplomacy and the confidence to engage and build consensus with functional leaders at all levels;
- A network of media contacts and a desire to work with the media proactively and re-actively;
- An entrepreneurial spirit, including the ability to work independently and autonomously;
- Experience serving as spokesperson;
- Experience working with executives;
- Experience managing budgets and agencies;
- Work hard and smart, able to thrive in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment;
- Develop creative, effective approaches to difficult communications challenges;
- Roll up sleeves and get work done, even when at times it's outside the scope of the job;
- Able to drive progress and form cohesion amidst ambiguity;
- Able to multitask and prioritize own workload;
- Innovate and come up with new, peculiar and effective ideas;
- Think big and long-term; In addition to the above, the incumbent must bring maturity along with good corporate values and ethics.
The ideal candidate will have a BA in Journalism & PR / Bachelor's Degree in Mass Media from a premier college or university. A Master's Degree in Communication from a premier university or college will be an added advantage.