Talent Acquisition at Third Sector Partners
Views:101 Applications:15 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:8
Economist - Nutrition International - Asia (7-12 yrs)
Organization : NUTRITION INTERNATIONAL
Job Title : TECHNICAL SPECIALIST, PUBLIC HEALTH NUTRITION, ASIA
Reports To : REGIONAL DIRECTOR / VICE PRESIDENT AND CHIEF TECHNICAL OFFICER, GTS
Location : NEW DELHI
- Nutrition International (NI) was set up in 1992 with the focus to end the chronic problem of malnutrition from the society. Nutrition International brings over 25 years of on-the-ground experience. They multiply impact by partnering with countries, donors and implementers to reach millions of people in more than 60 countries annually.
- Malnutrition isn- t just a chronic problem, it's an urgent problem. Millions of lives and voices are missing from our global economy and collective story - when they don- t have to be. Every day, Nutrition International drives for better, faster ways to get improved nutrition to the people who need it most. They deliver the greatest impact at the lowest cost by working directly with governments to build local capacity, partnering with research institutions to improve guidance, and breaking down silos between different development sectors as well as the private sector to integrate nutrition into non-nutrition platforms.
Nutrition International's vision is to be a global leader in finding and scaling solutions to malnutrition through :
- Coverage: Delivering low-cost high-impact nutrition interventions, especially for women, adolescent girls, and children in Africa and Asia;
- Leverage: Integrating nutrition across sectors to maximize impact and ensure there are no missed opportunities; and,
- Influence: Utilizing research, technical assistance, advocacy, and partnerships with national and global nutrition actors to improve policies, programs, and resources for nutrition.
Reason for the hire :
Nutrition International is looking to hire a Technical Specialist, Public Health Nutrition, Asia. This position will be responsible for strengthening Nutrition International's (NI) overall leadership and technical oversight in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of interventions and advocacy work in Asia region on nutrition and relevant sub-themes and cross-cutting areas. The position will focus primarily on NI's Social Safety Net Programs (SSNP) and Large-Scale Food Fortification (LSFF) programs, alongside providing targeted support to other program areas as needed. This position will carry out various public health analyses and support recommendations on interventions to improve nutritional status of populations at large, including targeted beneficiary groups.
Roles and Responsibilities :
- Appropriateness of fortification as part of an optimal mix of interventions
- Analyze burden data from select states to understand the prevalence of various micronutrient deficiencies among populations at large and target population groups and establish the suitability of select staple foods fortification in one of the project states in India.
- Analyze the broader framework of nutrition programs implemented by the state government to assess large-scale food fortification is an appropriate addition to the framework of nutrition programs in the state.
- Determine the optimal mix of staple food to be fortified, social safety net programme for delivery and fortificant(s) to be fortified with, in addition to assessing the appropriateness of available fortification standards to address the identified public health burden.
- Lead the development of tools and analytical framework to support data collection and analysis and further assessment of health and non-health benefits through fortification.
- Optimization of food basket delivered through SSNPs
- Analyze the existing food baskets delivered in the project states considering the burden data, consumption patterns, market structure and gender assessments and:
- Determine the optimal food items and quantities to consider for diversification of food basket by providing choice of foods.
- Investigate and test the viability of potentially integrating non-food interventions under different SSNPs in these states.
- Lead building the evidence and analytical base necessary to design a pilot program in at least one state.
- Support development of a set of policy options for the state government to consider in terms of the best path for pursuing diversification.
- Program design and impact pathway
- Lead on designing and conducting specific public health/nutrition elements of the programs.
- Provide inputs into the design and implementation of impact pathways from public health/nutrition perspective.
- Support and provide input to program monitoring, learning, and evaluation, especially on public health aspects of programs.
- Knowledge translation
- Develop briefs, reports and manuscripts on the public health analysis conducted within programs.
- Support the translation of public health/nutrition aspects of programs into broader program briefs, advocacy materials, presentations, and knowledge products.
- Support the project team in the communication of public health/nutrition concepts and findings with governments, donors and team and analysis findings.
Liaise with other relevant internal and external stakeholders as needed, providing strategic advice and guidance to address public health/nutrition issues to achieving program goals:
- Main liaison requirements would be with GTS, technical experts as needed.
- Relevant staff/ teams from NI Head Office, Asia Regional Office and India Country Office, and partner agency, Micro Save, to seek guidance/alignment on various public health analyses.
- NI's Regional Economist to support feasibility, economic and consumer analysis of the proposed program components/designs.
- NI's Gender Mainstreaming Specialist to ensure gender considerations are appropriately considered in the public health analyses.
- Contract management
- Prepare terms of reference and lead on the selection of agencies to conduct specific pieces of public health analyses.
- Manage the work of any assigned sub-contractors including budget development and reconciliation and quality control.
Must Haves :
- Advanced university degree (Master's or higher) in Public Health / Public Health Nutrition/ Human Nutrition / Food Science / any other related field is required.
- A minimum of 7 years of professional experience at the national / sub-national level in programme designing, management and advisory support in the area of health / nutrition programming or policy work, is required.
- The incumbent should have experience of carrying out nutrition and health related policy and program relevant analyses.
- Experience working in the development sector strongly preferred.
- Experience working at international / regional level (beyond India) considered an asset.
- Understanding of using linear programming approach and other tools to optimize food basket composition strongly preferred.
Communication Skills :
- Fluency in English - written and spoken
- Fluency in Hindi - spoken (preferred)
Other Specific Skill Requirements :
- Demonstrated success in technical writing and able to produce clear, written briefs.
- Able to manage sub-contractors - budgets, time, and quality of work.
- Able to translate public health evidence and data/information into program implications and actions.
- Able to design, implement, and quality assure public health research and analysis.
Travel Requirements :
- This position will be based in New Delhi, India
- The position may require travel to other NI countries in Asia or NI's HQ in Ottawa Canada
This job opening was posted long time back. It may not be active. Nor was it removed by the recruiter. Please use your discretion.