Chief Research Officer at Crossover Catalyst
Views:968 Applications:178 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:159
Director - NGO (15-20 yrs)
Director - NGO
Job Title : Director - Motivation India
Reports to CEO Motivation UK and Motivation India Board of Trustees
Location: Flexible but offices in Bangalore and Ahmedabad
Role type: Permanent
Hours: 40 Hours a week
About Motivation :
Motivation transforms the lives of disabled people around the world. From designing a unique range of wheelchairs, to influencing international governments and NGOs, we've been making an impact for nearly 30 years. Working with local, national and international partners we aim to provide innovative and practical solutions. With projects across Africa and India, we advocate for the rights of disabled people and empower them to stay healthy, access education and employment, and to participate in their communities.
As the international development sector changes, we know Motivation must also evolve to achieve the greatest impact. Over recent years a new global focus on assistive technology for disability inclusion has emerged in politics and development. There has never been a better time for Motivation to influence wheelchair provision for future generations.
For international development to continue to be credible, sustainable, relevant and well-informed, we know that our work needs to be determined and co-designed by our stakeholder community. Motivation began strengthening the teams closest to our stakeholder community in our last strategy and we continue to work towards localisation objectives, ensuring that we are shaped by the changing needs of our stakeholders.
In the height of the pandemic, Motivation delivered its most interactive strategy, as all staff everywhere had a role in its development. Our shared goal is to work to catalyse change that secures the right to wheelchairs and services for disabled people wherever they live in the world. Our programmes will model and demonstrate good practice for others to learn from and embed within their own communities to ensure disabled people are fully included in all aspects of the world around them.
We know post-pandemic the funding environment is more challenging than ever, with multiple constraints on national and global budgets. But we recognise the opportunities too, in working with partners and governments to rebuild improved healthcare and rehabilitative systems, an increased appetite to rebuild disability sport and a new context of accelerated digital transformation and innovation.
We will work harder to create more sustainable impact, to fulfil long-standing global development goals and appeal to national imperatives for post-pandemic recovery. Despite the challenges, we are a team united by a shared purpose of greater inclusion for disabled people. Our ambition and our values will drive and guide us to rebuild our impact for the future.
Motivation India :
Motivation India was established in 2011 as a public charitable trust in India to expand and develop Motivation's work in India and the region. Motivation India has a rich history spanning over two decades of work in India as well as with projects in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal and Cambodia. Motivation India is governed by a Board of Trustees.
Motivation India works with partners to develop the healthcare and rehabilitative infrastructure to ensure that disabled people's rights to appropriate wheelchairs and services are fully met. We train partners to develop appropriate wheelchair provision and access to a range of mobility products, which best suit their needs.
We also provide partners with training and practical support for wheelchair users and their families which ensure that the individuals we work feel able to engage fully in their communities. Motivation also helps break down barriers facing persons with disabilities and their families by working with their wider communities to tackle stigma and promote inclusion. We monitor and evaluate our work and use our learnings and best practice to advocate for better inclusive service provision.
Since 2011, Motivation India has positively impacted the lives of more than 22,000 persons with disabilities by providing them with appropriate and customised wheelchairs. Motivation India works with partner NGOs and government bodies across India to promote the concept of appropriate wheelchair services. Our primary aim is to establish a wheelchair service network in India that seeks to build upon World Health Organisation (WHO) Guidelines for Wheelchair Service Provision. http://www.who.int/disabilities/publications/technology/wheelchairguidelines/en/
- Motivation is seeking to recruit a dynamic leader to grow and lead our work in India. The successful candidate will work closely with our Chief Executive and Indian Board of Trustees to devise and implement an ambitious strategy that positions Motivation India as the regional expert in mobility products and best-practice provision, and which delivers the income and the influence to scale impact regionally and showcase globally. This role will require regular presence in the Ahmedabad and Bangalore offices and will involve significant travel within India, as well as occasional travel within South Asia and other countries around the globe as required.
- We have huge potential for growth and seek an entrepreneurial individual who is able to drive that potential by strengthening Motivation India's business model, devising and implementing an ambitious income strategy and who has a passion for social development and disability inclusion. The successful candidate will be highly adaptable - able to network with credibility at the highest levels of government and business and also able to build strong relationships with grassroots organisations.
- Externally, you are the face of Motivation India with funders and partners, creating the credibility and versatility to network and inform government institutions at the national, state and city levels. You are an influential leader with corporate and business leaders, multilateral/bilateral institutions, and civil society.
- Internally, you will foster a values-based and collaborative culture to ensure the smooth running of programs and operations within India and with other parts of Motivation's global network. Being a people person who inspires and develops staff, you are an excellent communicator within the organization at all levels and across cultures. Sound financial understanding and business acumen are required.
Role overview :
- Devise and implement Motivation India's strategy, working closely with Motivation and the Motivation India Board to build a sustainable business model
- As a member of Motivation's global Senior Management Team contribute, support and help to implement the development of Motivation's global strategy
- Lead the Motivation India team to optimise and fulfil the Region's strategic goals
- Lead income development strategies to grow and scale operations and programmes
- Develop and leverage critical networking relationships to continue to maintain a strong presence in India
- Inspire and maintain at all levels the highest standards of quality and excellence in research, data and monitoring, evaluation and learning for all programmes and activities
- Create a value-based and inclusive workplace underpinned by \Motivation's global values of honesty, inclusiveness, empowering and inventiveness.
Key Responsibilities :
Strategic direction and leadership :
- Lead the development, implementation and review of the Motivation India strategy, ensuring complementarity to Motivation's global strategy
- Ensure staff are continuously engaged and aligned with Motivation and Motivation India's global vision, mission, values, and strategic directions
- Work closely with the Chief Executive and Senior Management Team to play a role in driving Motivation's strategy globally
- Facilitate the overall planning and implementation of programme activities in India and potential South Asia region
- Foster a culture of excellence and collaboration in all aspects of work in India
- Foster effective ongoing communication between staff in the South Asia region and the rest of the Global Motivation network.
- Build relationships with key government stakeholders, at both national and local levels, either for partnership, funding and advocacy
Advocacy and partnership :
- Develop a deep understanding of the national and state-level political context
- Cultivate and sustain strong partnerships with government, civil society, research institutions, and the private sector
- Build and coordinate a network of public and private sector contacts to help to amplify and make a case for change
- Represent Motivation India at international forums
- Represent Motivation India successfully to national, state, and local government officials, donors, Indian and international media, NGOs, civil society, corporate leaders, academia, and other relevant partners
- Cultivate, maintain, and grow a strong relationship with the Motivation India Board
- Develop Motivation India's brand by building on Motivation's global brand working closely with Head of Communications and Advocacy in Motivation
- Represent and provide visibility for Motivation India by organizing/participating in high-profile events
Fundraising and communications :
- Lead efforts to develop and secure long-term funding for new projects based on identified needs for India working in coordination with Motivation Head of Fundraising
- Donor stewardship and profile building - back existing strategies/work to ensure donor satisfaction and continued funding
- Identify and cultivate donors from among government, business, foundation, and individual sources
- Provide strategic leadership for the long-term financial stability of Motivation India Programme development and management
- Work with the Head of Programmes at Motivation India to shape and support programme design and delivery
- Explore and encourage cross programmatic initiatives within Motivation India and with Motivation globally
- Hold programme teams accountable for maintaining the scope, purpose, outcomes and
- Collaborate effectively across Motivation to leverage scale and expertise, including building partnerships and projects with Motivation Africa
- Set adequate operational controls to maintain financial transparency and integrity
Operations and Management :
- Responsible for people management and creating cohesive, inclusive and effective teams based on mutual respect
- Ensure timely donor reporting and grant compliance
- Oversee and be accountable for all compliance required by country and best practice regulations
- Be accountable for budget, resources and assets, ensuring financial controls and cost effectiveness are paramount and finances are managed within global financial management policies.
- Working with the Finance Manager, Motivation India, build sound internal controls, sound financial risk management via compliance, financial management, and ensure sufficient capacity by working effectively with Motivation's Head of Finance
- Keep the Motivation India Board regularly updated on activities through regular interactions
- Be fully accountable at country level for emergency and risk management, developing a plan and ensuring employee awareness and compliance.
- Carry out any other responsibilities as requested by the Motivation India board
Knowledge, Skills & Experience :
- Experienced and recognized leader with significant relevant work experience in senior management roles. Successful track record of leading organizations, integrating and working with existing teams, and building teams in a multi-cultural environment
- Strategic mindset capable of providing a compelling vision and strategy. Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, project management, conducting research, and operations execution
- Effective relationship builder who inspires staff and maintains the confidence and stature to engage with various stakeholders, including national and state governments, NGOs, private sector, and academic institutions. Demonstrated ability to cultivate relationships for Motivation India's growth
- Proven track record in building and maintaining solid and successful relationships at the highest level of government
- Depth of knowledge and experience in India. Successful track record of engaging with international organizations and the Indian government and institutions (e.g., academic, business sector, and NGOs)
- Extensive knowledge and passion for disability inclusion and sustainable development related issues
- Effective team builder and leader. Ability to lead, manage, empower, and motivate a diverse team located at multiple sites
- Passion for people and openness to new ideas. Ability to retain and develop staff and build talent for the future for the sustained success of Motivation India
- Excellent writing, speaking, editing, and presentation skills. Demonstrated skill influencing at all levels of interaction
- Ability to travel frequently within the country and internationally
- Fluent in spoken and written English and at least one Indian language
- Hold a valid Indian Passport
- Knowledge of disability and/or Assistive Technology sector
- Experience of working with a global team
- Existing relationships with key media partners
Motivation's safeguarding commitment : We believe that it is never acceptable for children or adults at risk to experience abuse of any kind. We expect all our staff to operate in a manner that protects and enables a safeguarding culture within Motivation India and Motivation. Safeguarding children and adults at risk is everyone's responsibility within our organisation.
This job opening was posted long time back. It may not be active. Nor was it removed by the recruiter. Please use your discretion.