Director/CMO - Marketing - EdTech Industry (12-18 yrs)
This role is for someone who looks at overall marketing and branding to drive over brand reputation building including comms, positioning, etc. and help drive revenues - acquisition campaigns, sales outreach, etc.
- In addition to all the things, someone who has built/ managed a consumer facing digital-first brand is going to be best suited - using content marketing, social media, communities, brand, and acquisition campaigns, etc. & not just rely on ATL brand building and big ad spending tactics. A general understanding of areas such as Events, PR, thought leadership, B2B branding, etc. will also help. They don't have to be expertly skilled in all these areas but need to be able to guide the team who are functional experts.
- Apart from that, having a sense of business goals, working closely with cross functional areas like product and sales will be necessary. This also involves being able to communicate, showcase and report the impact and outcomes of marketing and brand activities to CEO and other Execs. Given we are a start-up, if they are too hyper-focussed on only marketing and don't work in the context of the business, they may not be able to succeed in this role. In the same vein, those who have built/ managed a new/ start up brand may have a better appreciation for this role, but open to others as well.
- Having some experience working in global set ups, and/ or running marketing activities across multiple countries will also really help. Often marketing gets too stratified in India by regions, city types, etc. They need to be able to zoom out and build a brand that can scale across the world.
- Leading operations including team and project management -prioritising, managing workloads, hiring, and training, etc., agency and vendor management, aligning marketing activities with business goals and milestones, etc.
- To deliver on the team management and operations, we would need someone who has led marketing teams before rather than someone looking to move up with this role, as they need to be senior and credible enough to lead their direct reports including mid-senior roles like head of marketing & Head of B2C sales as well as the rest of the marketing team.