Director/Associate Director - Software Development (12-16 yrs)
We are looking for an energetic and passionate Technology Leader with experience in distributed, cloud-based application development. In this role you will have the opportunity to influence and architect what we build and how we scale.
You will be working for the India Urban Data Exchange, capable of harvesting data from many sub-systems enabling application developers to build new applications and services to help citizens. With the IUDX platform, citizens benefit from the availability of more innovative and cost-effective applications and services. The cities themselves will also benefit from reduced development cost and faster development time frames enabled by a standard platform, together with the ability to choose vendors freely and thereby, avoid vendor lock-in. IUDX is being used by Indian cities to harness the full potential of the enormous data being generated across the country.
The ideal candidate will be excited for the challenge to transform and think critically on many software development disciplines including Software Design, Usability, building APIs and user-centric online applications, business logic, scaling performance, and 24x7 reliability.
The role requires deep technical aptitude, excellent cross-functional collaboration, ability to quickly consume new technologies and tools and roll out to rest of the development teams.
Job Description :
- Overall responsible for devising and updating development strategy.
- Create digital roadmap for the organisation and set short, medium- and long-term objectives and time bound actions plans.
- Responsible for the overall software development lifecycle.
- Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team.
- Management of departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, enhancing, and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team.
- Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach.
- Contribute substantially to innovation and overcome technology limitations to deliver on customer experience.
- Report on the status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management.
- Initiate, lead and/or support development requirements of the assigned business functions and their delivery in accordance with project goals, time scales and costs.
- Lead, manage and train the team.
- Working closely with vendor partners, business / functional heads, supply chain team etc.
What is Required :
- 12-15 years of experience in building scalable products, platforms and modern technologies OR
- 12-15 years of experience designing and developing complex, interactive consumer facing applications
- At least 5 years managing software development teams of 25-30 members including hands-on architectural or distributed systems experience
- Bachelor or Masters degree in computer science or equivalent
- Proven experience as a Delivery Head/ Technology Head or similar leadership role.
- Hands on experience in digital initiatives, big data, mobile apps, AI & ML, analytics and business intelligent solutions
- Ability to convert data into usable modern technology driven solutions
- Apply agile development principles to build organized and versatile code
- Create modern architecture to deliver high quality and scalable services
- Have passion for cloud and various innovative technologies
- Take ownership for problems and deliver consistently high-quality solutions
- Design enhancements to improve efficiency and streamline business and development processes
Technical Competencies :
- Experience with MySQL, PostGes DB, NoSQL (Cassandra, Redis, DynamoDB)
- Experience in server-side services using ElasticSearch / Solr, Kafka
- Experience with AWS stack & Kubernetes
- Experience with CI/CD processes
- Experience in managing software product planning, development and deliverables
Experience with various stages of software development life cycle (Design, Development, Testing and - Deployment)
- Experience in development for different software stacks (such as Backend stack, Frontend stack, Analytics stack, REST API stacks etc.)
- Experience in working with various open-source components and frameworks used in above stacks
- Experience in cloud technologies especially in software development for cloud deployments using open-source tools
- Experience in software product development with (1) Design using security best practices, (2) Design with service-oriented architectures and micro-services, and (3) Design for high availability and scalability (containerization, clustering for components such as databases and data brokers etc.)
- A strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional, projects and bringing in and growing engineering talent
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information clearly and concisely.
- An entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong programming and product management skills
- Autonomous, dynamic, and love working in a team.
- Hold a problem solver and team player mindset
- Able to share knowledge and mentor people