Chief Research Officer at Crossover Catalyst
Views:650 Applications:90 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:77
Director/Associate Director - Policy Research & Strategy - NGO (15-25 yrs)
Director / Associate Director, Policy-Research and Strategy
Location: New Delhi (preferred, but open for high quality candidates to be based out of other leading centres of S&T in India like Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Pune)
About Foundation for Advancing Science and Technology (FAST India)
FAST India aims to transform the landscape of science and technology (S&T) research in India in order to spur economic and social development.
The world is increasingly moving towards an innovation economy, driven by exponential progress in S&T and the growth of vibrant ecosystems to commercialize research. To be a global leader in S&T, India needs to be at the forefront of research by way of the creation of new S&T knowledge (research) and its translation to economic and social goods. Recently, the Government of India has placed great importance on S&T nationally; major strategic projects are underway and significant funding has been unlocked to strengthen the S&T ecosystem in the country.
FAST India will build capacity and advance policy solutions that foster scientific enquiry and research, and facilitate the creation, dissemination, and translation of new scientific knowledge. FAST India aspires to be a thought-leader in the S&T ecosystem in India, work with key partners across the ecosystem, and set the narrative for science in the country by creating changes akin to the economic reforms of 1991. FAST India has five key verticals: Policy and Research, Government Support, Institutional Strengthening, Corporate Sector Engagement, and Science Communications (flagship event, www.indiasciencefest.org).
FAST India is one of the few foundations working on S&T in a strategic and dedicated manner in the country and aims for India to become a global leader in the space.
FAST India is backed by The Convergence Foundation, an organisation run by Ashish Dhawan, a private equity investor turned philanthropist, and Varun Aggarwal, who is a successful tech entrepreneur and researcher and is passionate about AI and the potential for sustainable social and economic progress through science. FAST India is led by Jayant Krishna as its CEO, a senior professional with many years of diverse work experience in the tech industry, Government of India and nonprofits.
FAST India receives guidance from its panel of advisors that comprises Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Kris Gopalakrishnan, Thomas Barlow, Dr. Swaminathan Sivaram, Samir K. Brahmachari, Sanjay Sarma, Luis Miranda, Venkatesh Narayanamurti, Vijay Chandru and Gagandeep Kang.
We are looking to hire an exceptional Director / Associate Director for a leadership role in Policy, Research and Strategy in an exciting time of organisational growth and development. As Director / Associate Director, you will provide policy and research expertise and devise FAST India's strategy to liberalize the S&T ecosystem. You will work closely with leaders in the S&T space and other key stakeholders to advance FAST India's policy work.
FAST India has already signed Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) with the Office of Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India, Capacity Building Commission, Government of India, and a few S&T labs for collaboration on policy and other projects in the S&T ecosystem.
This is a high-energy, entrepreneurial role and a great opportunity for those who enjoy working in a start-up environment and care deeply about the impact sector.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
The key responsibilities of the Director / Associate Director leading the team for Policy, Research & Strategy include, but are not limited to:
- Clarity on the policy landscape: Understanding of the multiple national and state level policy initiatives in the S&T sector is key to the role. This includes identifying policy gaps which need to be addressed and developing appropriate interventions.
- Developing the appropriate policy frameworks: Take a lead in framing policies that help bring efficiency and effectiveness in scientific R&D financing, enhance ease of doing research and dismantle barriers to innovation and science entrepreneurship in India.
- Driving stakeholder engagement: Support and drive stakeholder engagement including senior level relationships at the central or state governments, funders, and subject matter experts to ensure recognition of FAST India as an effective partner.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
- Master's degree in relevant disciplines from top tier institutions. While there is no preference for a particular major, we expect to see a high degree of intellectual curiosity, sophistication, and analytical skills
- 15 to 20 years of work experience with relevant responsibilities, demonstrating excellent delivery and relationship management in or related to field of policy and research
- Entrepreneurial self-starter, passion for science and technology (S&T), and desire to 1 Designation of Director/Associate Director will depend on the profile of the candidate develop and strengthen the science ecosystem in India
- High intellectual vitality, the desire to continuously learn, read, and engage on a variety of topics. While the person should understand the essentials of S&T, we highly value the willingness to learn
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, planning and organizational skills with high attention to detail, accuracy, professionalism, and deadlines
- Strong communication, writing, interpersonal, and stakeholder-facing skills including great presentation and facilitation skills
Remuneration will be competitive with Indian philanthropy pay scales and with organizations working with a similar mandate.
This job opening was posted long time back. It may not be active. Nor was it removed by the recruiter. Please use your discretion.