Department Head - Special Education Needs/Additional Learning Support - International School (7-13 yrs)
- Looking for a Head of Department for ALS. A strong understanding of subject knowledge and sound technical knowledge to understand the Special needs programme is a must with a Master's in Special Education needs .
- Experience of 7+yrs as HOD ALS in International School
JOB DESCRIPTION :
- A Head of Department is responsible in his department area to the School Director and the School Principals, &Program Coordinator.
- The Principals need to work with the HODs to define the scope and sequence of each subject area to maintain continuity and parity and review this each year.
- The PYP Coordinator will meet with the HODs as per his/her needs by making an appointment for herself/himself or/and the concerned teachers.
- The MYP & DP Program Coordinators interact with each HOD during department meetings &, if need be, by setting up one-on-one meetings with the HODs to ensure & facilitate the optimal delivery of the curriculum & implementation of the scope and sequence plan according to the needs of the examining board of that particular program.
- The meeting times of all departments are blocked on the schedules of Middle and Senior School Principals; & they are not available for any other work during this time.
- The HOD will carry out the following duties over and above her/his work as a Teacher.
Curriculum Management :
- To take a lead role in the managing and teaching of the curriculum in her/his department area across the school as per schedule given below.
- To evaluate and review the curriculum design in keeping with Examining Board requirements, school requirements and changing international school practices.
- To develop, implement and monitor subject policies and procedures.
- To monitor teaching strategies and assessment methods in the department.
- To support and train new members of the department.
- To appraise teacher performance in keeping with the school's policies.
- To ensure that teachers receive appropriate in-service training
Curriculum Coordination :
- To hold regular department meetings aimed at coordinating the curriculum and establishing good practices.
- To liaise with members on student progress
- To meet with and report to/discuss with the School Director, Principals & Program Coordinators the progress of the curriculum.
- To work with their team to create assessment documents for all needs.
- To hold moderation meetings with teachers on ongoing assessment and examination corrections.
- Liaise with other Heads of Department on Cross-Curricular themes and projects.
- To provide effective support to ensure that there is good discipline in classes.
- To report back to members on appropriate issues raised and decisions made at Heads of Department meetings.
- To budget texts, resources, teaching aids and other relevant requirements in consultation with members of the department. To ensure that there is adequate resource available to students and teachers.
- To ensure cataloguing and effective stock control.
- To ensure that resources for the department are centralized and easily accessible.
- To ensure that the library has enough in texts and reference materials to support learning for both teachers and students.
- To ensure that class room and central courtyard notice boards celebrate student work effectively.
- To ensure that appropriate substitution work is available when teachers are absent.
- To plan deployment of teachers for an academic year.
- To assist the Director in hiring new staff.
- To assist in the procedures of school and board examinations.
All HODs are required to teach in MYP space along with DP.