HR at Clinton Health Access Initiative
Views:902 Applications:302 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:0
Clinton Health Access Initiative - Associate Director - Country Support (10-15 yrs)
Clinton Health Access Initiative - Associate Director - Country Support
- The Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) is a global health organization driven by its mission to save lives and reduce the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
- Overview of CHAI's Vaccines program
- Vaccines already save millions of lives each year and are among the most cost-effective and wide-reaching health interventions ever developed. Still, approximately two million children die annually from vaccine-preventable diseases, mainly in low-income countries.
- In 2010, CHAI launched a vaccine program to address this gap and to capture the life-saving opportunities provided by the development of new vaccines. We aim to reduce mortality and morbidity from vaccine preventable diseases and to improve the contribution of immunization programs to stronger primary health care.
- Since 2010, CHAI has become a core partner in the immunization space at global and country level. CHAI works in cooperation with and at the service of government in order to improve their national immunization programs in 14 focus countries (Cameroon, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Lao PDR, Lesotho, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Uganda, Vietnam and Zimbabwe). CHAI also engages with global stakeholders such as Gavi, WHO and UNICEF to inform global policies and practices and improve the effectiveness of the global ecosystem for immunization.
CHAI is currently pursuing five complementary strategic objectives :
1. Improving affordability and supply security of vaccines
2. Accelerating the uptake of new or under-utilized vaccines
3. Improving effective immunization coverage and reaching the unreached
4. Navigating successfully the transition from donor support and upcoming health reforms and
5. Strengthening the management system and capacity of immunization programs
- We are seeking a mission-driven individual with outstanding leadership and management skills to join CHAI's global vaccines delivery senior management team and to lead our country support model. This is a leadership role in a fast growing global health program comprising 14 focus countries and in a global team of ~30 people.
- This person will work with 3 regional managers to support CHAI country teams in 14 focus countries on the following:
- The strategic planning & fundraising of the in-country vaccines program
- The management of the grants and in-country vaccines program
- The deployment of global technical support to achieve in-country objectives
- Ensuring an effective and collegial collaboration between global and country teams in order to maximize our impact across all countries and at global level.
- This person will play a leading role in driving CHAI's transformational work to strengthen national immunization programs and thus minimizing the burden of vaccines-preventable disease in developing countries. Internally, this role will have a great impact on the global vaccines delivery team's support to country programs and teams and CHAI's capacity at country level to drive transformational work in the vaccines space.
- The candidate must be able to lead & manage the development and implementation of multi-country programs in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment.
- Base location is flexible, with a strong preference for one of CHAI's Vaccine Program focus countries in Africa or Asia, with CHAI Country Leadership approval. Significant travel (at least 35%) is expected.
Further details follow :
1. Manage the regional management & operations function of CHAI's global vaccines program
- Manage the regional and operations management function
- Set goals and priorities towards areas of greatest value-add with your team in consultation with the vaccines program management team
- Allocate responsibilities and delegate work effectively across your team and ensure that ideas and learning are effectively shared across to get optimal performance
- Develop the supporting tools and enabling environment for those functions to perform optimally
- Ensure effective and collegial communication and collaboration between you, your team and colleagues in the global team and in all country teams
- Manage key internal & external relationships for those functions
- Manage the performance and growth of four direct reports (3 regional managers and 1 operations manager)
- Help set impactful goals and priorities for direct reports, in line with program priorities
- Support and hold the team accountable to the delivery of high-quality work
- Provide frequent effective feedback & coaching to direct reports
- Support the professional development
2. Improve the design & ensure the effective implementation of global vaccines team's country support function
- Provide on-going clarity and gain support for our country support model, including the recently formed regional management and operations management function
- Identify and capture key improvement opportunities on the model as it is designed and implemented now
- Improve the operating model & toolkit, the culture and the rest of the enabling environment for effective country support that supports impactful work and collegial collaboration across the program's matrix.
3. Develop and constantly improve an exceptional team and culture in collaboration with the global vaccines team leadership
- Foster the continuous growth and performance of all direct reports through active coaching and leadership that blends high expectations with intensive support and empathy
- Shape the culture and dynamics of the entire global vaccines delivery team through regular communication and activities that build team effectiveness and cohesion across geographies and work streams
- Role model the values and mission of CHAI and the behavior norms of the global vaccines team
- At least 10 years of working experience in the private or public sector, with increasing levels of responsibility, team management and leadership
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to build and maintain strong relationships in a matrixed and multicultural environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to concisely communicate complex ideas in a manner that builds buy-in among diverse stakeholders
- Excellent people development skills, able to help diverse team members rapidly improve skills and performance through coaching and consistent supportive accountability
- Excellent problem-solving solving skills and mindset
- Excellent ability to set direction and structure, prioritize among complex options, and uphold high performance expectations
- Demonstrated experience managing and getting complex projects done in a matrixed organizational environment, including ability to find productive trade-offs between various tensions (personal style, incentives, timeframe) and influence with limited authority
- High emotional intelligence, patience and thoughtfulness even in high-pressure, stressful situations
- Ability to develop & steer coherent programs with governments in developing countries
- Ability to travel, mainly to CHAI focus countries (approximately 35% time)
- Experience working with decentralized and multi-cultural teams
- Strong prior experience of working with the governments and/or overseeing program implementation in multiple countries
- Past experience working as part of a CHAI's global support team or country team
- Experience working in management consulting, or similar fast-paced, output-oriented environments
- Knowledge of vaccines, health systems strengthening, and/or health financing
- Relevant advanced degree
- Professional proficiency in French