Chalo - Manager - Finance - CA (4-7 yrs)
Qualification: Chartered Accountant.
Experience: 4+ Years
1. Maintaining and finalising the statutory books of accounts as per Indian GAAP
2. Preparation of monthly MIS and owning the book closing activity for every month
3. Conversant with the income tax, TDS, GST laws and being able to pay the taxes in time and file the returns as required
4. Maintain all statutory records and the secretarial records of the company. Understanding of all secretarial compliances and filings.
5. Should be able to assist on commercial accounting issues including being able to read and finalize simple legal or commercial agreements and other documents
6. Should be conversant with the banking operations, including handling of import documentation and management of working capital
7. Should be able to process proposal for obtaining working capital loans as well as short term loans required for import of equipment etc.
8. Conduct basic treasury operations and interact with commercial banks.
9. Manage accounts payable function and deal with all vendors. Assist in operations accounting.
Heard of the Chalo before? Probably not. Would you then believe that Chalo has 20,000 city buses on its platform across 25 cities, staffs 800+ people, issues 70 lakh tickets a day and reports a GMV of $250 million?
If that left you surprised, we have clearly done a great job of building in stealth mode!
We are solving a real-world problem that affects 200 million Indians everyday and on the way, creating India's largest mobility company. If you are hungry to solve complicated problems, always build for massive scale and ready to commit yourself to delivering value to our stakeholders - we encourage you to keep reading.
How Large Is The Problem?
Transport is the #2 spend category for an average Indian household accounting for 20% of all expenses; only food is more. Bus tickets account for 60% of $60 billion annually of this expenditure i.e. 10x of taxis. However, each bus commuter spends the equivalent of 8 days a year waiting for a bus and bus operators have losses running into hundreds of millions of dollars annually.
What We Solve?
We aim to make travel better for everyone. Today we do so by improving the experience of taking city buses - 30 minutes less waiting, 50% lower ticket transaction cost. This kick starts a virtuous circle, where happier commuters means more rides which in turn means more revenue for our bus operator partners, which means better services for commuters. Our most important KPI is the revenue uplift achieved - we are currently tracking at 20% uplift, enabling some operators to be profitable for maybe the first time in this business.
How We Do It?
We work in partnership with bus operators to deploy our proprietary technology stack. By deploying an end-to-end solution from the hardware on the bus to the software on the cloud and mobile application for the commuter we are able to power a unique experience. Over time we have understood the value of expanding our scope of work as well as leveraging the power of the data generated by our platform to help operators with operations such as route optimization, crew management and revenue maximization.
Our operations are wise, deep and intensive - buses run 24/7 and that means so do we; we process 75 million unique data points daily; we count among our staff, experienced software developers, operations and supply chain experts, transit specialists and also GPS technicians and bus conductors. We told you it was complicated!
What's In Store for 2020?
We love buses and believe that they run better on technology, than fuel. We are going to a lot more of what we currently do, including launching our service in some of India's largest cities. But we are also on the verge of some new initiatives to get to our aim - as you are reading this, we are launching a Chalo transit card for seamless multi-modal payments and working with cities to add more buses, especially electric buses to cities. By March 2020, we aim to be on 35,000 buses and facilitate 1 billion annual transactions.
The benefits of providing a great mobility solution goes beyond time and money. A bus can take 30 cars of the road, reduce tonnes of emissions, improve safety, increase household savings and lead to a significant improvement in quality of life. The opportunity to build a company comes rarely, the opportunity to build a company that can so dramatically impact the lives of millions, comes once in several lifetimes.
If that opportunity does come knocking, you better be prepared to grab it with both hands and then give all of yourself to it.
We will be frank, we are still very young as a company and if you were to join us, lots of things will still be work-in-progress, but that's exactly why we are looking for individuals to take up challenging roles across the company to not just run, but solve, build and grow Chalo.