Recruitment at Cambridge University Press
Views:1166 Applications:135 Rec. Actions:Recruiter Actions:79
Cambridge University Press - Manager - Legal & Compliance (5-8 yrs)
Job Role: The lawyer primarily responsible for the legal and compliance support for the Press's Indian business, and additionally support colleagues internationally working as part of the global legal team.
- Effective and efficient management of legal advisory services and of legal and compliance risks primarily for India, and additionally globally as required.
- Drafting and / or reviewing a wide range of sale and purchase agreements, corporate documents, editorial agreements and licences, technology agreements, terms and conditions, employment, property and finance agreements. Dealing with trademarks, copyright, data protection, competition law, business registration and company secretarial requirements. Managing disputes and litigation. Providing compliance and regulatory support.
- Maintaining up to date knowledge of legal developments in these fields.
- Working with appropriate colleagues in Legal & Business Affairs, ensuring the availability of legally accurate and appropriate precedents and template documents.
- Providing an appropriate mixture of commercially focused pro-active and reactive advice, guidance and training in each of these areas to business stakeholders.
- Building and maintaining appropriate relationships with relevant external counsel, both in India and in other key overseas markets where requested to do so.
- Supporting the Group Compliance Officer with ABC and other compliance issues (including third party due diligence). Being a point of contact in India to assist with providing feedback on the ABC programme, attending workshops related to the policies, procedures and guidelines document as they are developed, and to assist in the roll out of the compliance programme where requested by the Compliance team.
- Responsible for approving any gifts or hospitality offered to or accepted from employees in their Press Hub Office escalating to the Compliance team where appropriate. Responsible for approving any donations requests by employees in their Press Hub Office, escalating to the Compliance team where appropriate.
- Port-of-call for any concerns staff may wish to express about ABC issues or the ABC programme within their area of the business, another port-of-call being the Whistleblowing Hotline; may be asked to investigate claims as appropriate. Assisting with providing feedback on the ABC programme, attending training and workshops related to the policies, procedures and guidelines documents as they are developed, and to assist in the roll-out of the compliance programme where requested.
- Main sponsor for the risk assessment process related to ABC risks for India. Assisting in the roll out of the Compliance Due Diligence Procedures to ensure they are in fact embedded in India by fully understanding and engaging with the procedures in their day to day role. Assisting with any periodic ABC reviews for India as appropriate.
Skills and experience:
Qualified lawyer with significant experience in advising on commercial, corporate and contentious issues, ideally in a media or digital business and with some knowledge of intellectual property.
- Ideally experienced in a multinational organisation, familiar with working in matrix structure with exposure to working as part of a global team.
- Knowledge of statutory law and regulations passed by government agencies to help the Press achieve its goals within the bounds of the law
- Experienced at dealing with litigation including using the support of law firms.