Biocon Biologics India - Associate Director/Regional Head - Legal/Ethics & Compliance Function (11-15 yrs)
A. Role :
The senior team member of Biocon Biologics Legal function will be responsible for various legal aspects in India including (a) providing general legal advice including issues like regulatory compliance, contracts, protection of company Intellectual Property and other rights and employment laws; (b) act as key regionals representative for implementing ethics and compliance program and initiative; (c) providing legal opinions in areas where legal clarification is needed, as well as conduct legal due diligence and draft due diligence reports to advice the company on matters related to the acquisition of new assets.
Reporting : Head - Global Compliance and Ethics
B. Detailed Job Description :
1. Creating and implementing an effective compliance program; Oversee, coordinate, and monitor the day-to-day compliance activities of the business unit
2. Ensuring that the compliance program effectively prevents and/or detects violation of law, regulations, organization policies, or the code of conduct
3. Regularly reviewing the compliance program and recommending appropriate revisions and modifications, including advising leadership of potential compliance risk areas
4. Coordinating resources to ensure the ongoing effectiveness of the compliance program; Tracking all issues referred to the Global Ethics and Compliance office
5. Implementing and operating retaliation-free reporting channels, including an anonymous telephone reporting system available to all employees, volunteers, customers, and vendors
6. In consultation with the corporate law department, establish a company compliance manual; maintain and supplement the manual as necessary
7. Establish, supervise, and train teams of department compliance officers responsible for identifying compliance issues at the departmental level; ensure appropriate communication for compliance issues between local and corporate levels
8. Develop and coordinate appropriate compliance training and education programs for all employees, agents, contractors, or others working with the organization; ensure and understand the company's commitment to comply with all laws, regulations, company policies, and ethical requirements applicable to the conduct of the business; assess the need for additional training and education and develop appropriate compliance programs
9. Develop, coordinate, and/or oversee internal and external audit procedures for the purpose of monitoring and detecting any misconduct or noncompliance; if any misconduct or noncompliance is detected, recommend a solution and follow up to ensure that the recommendations have been implemented
10. Formalize and monitor a system to enable employees to report any noncompliance without fear of retribution, ensuring that the reporting system is adequately publicized and that allegations of noncompliance are investigated and responded to promptly
11. Ensuring that the internal controls are capable of preventing and detecting significant instances or patterns of illegal, unethical, or improper conduct by employees, agents, contractors, or others working with Biocon Biologics
12. In consultation with the human resources department, help ensure that there is a mechanism in place for disciplining instances of noncompliance (including the failure to prevent, detect, or report any noncompliance), appropriate to the nature and extent of the deviation and ensure consistency in the application of disciplinary action
13. Work with the human resources department to ensure a workforce with high ethical standards, including the establishment of minimum standards for conducting appropriate background and reference checks on potential employees
14. In conjunction with the corporate legal department, interface and, when appropriate, negotiate with external regulatory agencies
15. Report to the compliance committee at its regular meetings, or as otherwise necessary, on any significant compliance issues to ensure appropriate discussion of such compliance issues and to ensure that appropriate action is taken
16. Carry out additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Head Legal from time to time.
C. Education and Experience/Skill Required :
1. Law degree preferred with a minimum of 11+ years PQE in industry-specific law
2. Relevant candidates from big pharmaceutical companies will be given priority.
3. Experience in effectively managing a cross-functional team.
4. Proven ability in effectively conducting legal research in resolving complex issues
5. Reputed law firm experience a plus; auditing experience is a plus
6. Experience in dealing with compliance issues preferred
7. Strong verbal and written communication skills
8. Strong influencing skills and perseverance in investigating.
9. Solutions driven approach, with exemplary initiative taking and problem-solving skills
10. Ability to drive and manage professional relationships
11. Ability to prioritise and deliver results well before deadlines
12. Driven to pro-actively work towards establishing systems and an unflinching zeal to grow
13. Outstanding organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently