Amazon - Legal SME - Compliance Risk Specialist (5-10 yrs)
Compliance Operations supports the enforcement of global compliance initiatives by providing ASIN classification, escalation management and vendor/seller management support. This team works across a number of compliance areas viz. Dangerous Goods, Global Trade Services, Product and Food Safety, Sustainability, Customer Packaging, Employee Health and Safety, and Restricted Products.
Restricted Products (RP) supports Compliance initiatives on the Amazon website to ensure the products sold are not illegal, illegally marketed, offensive or otherwise in violation of Amazon policies. Cross Border Restricted Products (CBRP) support ensures products can be sold across marketplaces and geographies without violating local RP risk.
How are policies applied ?
In order to operationalize the enforcement of these policies,
a) Legal specialists monitor event horizon and respond with policy changes/ additions to keep Amazon's customers safe.
b) These policies are converted into free-text rationales which prescribe targeted product specific actions.
c) These rationales are then translated using a combination of inclusion and exclusion keywords into rules or filters which can run on the catalog of products on the Amazon websites
d) Upon the application of these rules or filters, the Ops teams receives a list of potentially non-compliant ASINs which are evaluated based on the applicable rationale.
The current role is one of a Subject Matter expert (L5) within the Compliance Operations space. The individual will be reporting to the Senior Operations Manager (L6), CBRP. The role involves both Operations and Strategy / Org design.
1) Design Legal SME organization to support above operations
2) Based on an understanding of risk profiles across products, support redesign of CBRP organization
3) Participate in legal policy design globally, share best practices across Legal counsel teams to streamline operations
4) Migrate Operational support for Legal counsels globally to BLR center of excellence
Operations Center of Excellence (COE)
1) Gain a deep understanding of RP policies, policy creation frameworks, applicable regulations, product-marketplace risk profiles
2) Establish rationale evaluation frameworks, establish structural rationale encoding frameworks
3) Support monitoring of event risk horizon and proactive evaluation of policy changes
4) Support Operations query resolution, conflict resolution based on rationale understanding
5) Establish operations support for rationale updates, partial support for new rationale scoping and creation for RP and CB
- Bachelor's degree
- 4+ years of prior work experience with a degree in law
- Strong written and oral communication skills - Business level English
- Experience researching, analyzing and synthesizing regulations
- Prior work experience with a law firm, corporate legal department or government agency
- Prior experience in dealing with broad range of product compliance issues, such as regulations on Legal Metrology Act, Drugs and Cosmetics Act, Food Safety Act, Drugs and Magical Remedies, Insecticides Act, Pesticides Act, etc.
- LLB, other law degree or legal qualification preferred