The Small Enterprise Finance Centre (SEFC) at the Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR) is looking for a Research Manager in Chennai, India. Current research projects in India are aimed at increasing knowledge of small business financing. Key topics include the nature of demand for financial services; the extent of impacts of financial access on incomes, human capital, infrastructure, and broader aspects of business development and growth; and mechanisms that enable improving impact and scale. We are testing our research through randomized evaluations in order to scale up effective financial product innovations to reach millions of entrepreneurs.
SEFC works closely with SME Initiative at Innovations for Poverty Action to implement and manage research projects. Principal researchers at the SME Initiative drive much of the research agenda within the Centre. The SME Initiative brings together leading researchers from economics, psychology, and behavioral sciences across Harvard, MIT, Princeton, etc. to develop new solutions to problems of development and access to finance in collaboration with companies, financial institutions, and SEFC.
THE JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Research Manager will spend the majority of time supervising the work of research associates/senior research associates as well as other center related tasks. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Take a lead role supervising multiple research projects ;
- Management of relations with a number of different project partners;
- Management of staff on the projects;
- Ensuring smooth functioning of the project and quickly addressing problems as they arise;
- Executing surveys, focus groups, interviews and other research activities;
- Managing and training survey teams, including quality control of data;
- Ensuring that financial mechanisms and operational model are properly implemented;
- Conducting rigorous data analysis;
- Assisting in meetings and presentations to partner organizations;
- Writing up research findings;
- Drafting research proposals;
THE SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Applicants for the positions of RMs should:
- Have a Masterís degree in economics, finance, public policy, or other related fields and should have strong quantitative skills (undergraduate/post - graduate training in finance, microeconomics, development economics, econometrics and statistics is preferred).
- At least 3 years field experience in developing countries is strongly preferred.
- At least 5 - 6 years of relevant economic/finance experience is strongly preferred.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and writing skills;
- Quantitative skills with data management, econometrics, and knowledge of STATA or other data analysis software, are strongly desirable;
- Experience in conducting field research in developing countries with a background in randomized evaluations;
- Valuable experience in managing teams and interacting with institutional partners.
- Have a strong desire to work in development research
Note: All Research Managers (RMs) will be employed as full time IFMR employees, and will be eligible for staff benefits. The monthly compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please indicate in the subject line that you are applying for the Research Manager position. We will contact you shortly after submission if we are interested in interviewing you. Please no calls or follow - up emails.